Coal tar? Uses? History

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi, I posted under cleaning but have moved on to history here.

I just bought a mineral water, 1840-60 or so and it's happened again. It's like it was reused for something really horrible, thick brown to black and smells. I'm thinking coal tar. I ruled out molasses because it's not water solulble. I had this happen with the same era case gin I got. I know reusing bottles was common, I have an 1880-90 Wright and Taylor Dist. with a Harness Oil Blacking label. It's faily clean so I'm leaving it alone. The only chemical I've found to work is laquer thinner. Paint thinner, alcohol, lime away, muratic acid, soapy water don't seam to touch it. Hot water softened it some so I'm now thinking a double boiler.. That might give you an idea of the substance base.

Anyone have any idea what the stuff might be. I tried to research coal tar but didn't find much. It was used for paving in the 1860's and a dye was extracted from it but nothing really seamed to be for home use. Maybe roof patch? Shoe goo? What other nastyness could have been used at the time?

I know it's dried up now but I cant imagine how they funneled it into these narrow neck bottles.

The original post.

IRISH

Reaction score
They painted stockholm tar on horse feet to seal and protect them, some people still use it. I've found a few bottles with the exact same horrible goop in them as yours, Acetone works ok to get it out, it also gets out that yellow waxy stuff that sticks like superglue, I've never worked out what it is [:'(] .

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey, Man...

How many bizzare colored Dr. Soule's do you have? I want one!!!

Maybe I could even pay you for it...maybe...

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi guys ,
I saw this one at Memphis Expo . Awesome color !

Kh17796.jpg

Attachments

• Kh17796.jpg
    Kh17796.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 52

bearswede

Reaction score
Brian!!

I thought I told you you're not allowed to make me drool!!!! What is that? Medium pink puce? 1400 bucks back in '93?

Brian: I called one in yesterday morning... My brother and I had just walked in from the road and a tom bellowed at us... I restrained myself calling and he came in silent... I was waiting for my brother to take the shot; when he didn't, I waited for the gobbler to go behind a tree, but the tree was a small one and ol' eagle eye got spooked... My brother got off a shot but missed... I should have been more patient, but half the fun is calling them in range...

Ron

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Ron ,
Yeah , and it was priced at 3200.00 at Memphis. David Sidelinger had it on his table of GREAT semi cabins. Pink Puce ..... You hit it right on the head!

Yeah , They are starting to heat up here a little too.
I don't care if I ever get one this year or not ! I've had a blast watching them strut and listening to them gobble !!!
Yeah , I always tell my Brother if a Deer could see as good as a Turkey.....I'd never get a Deer !
I have a good one to tell you....I'll keep it short ! I set up a few days ago. Put my decoys out ( first time I used them) and got sat down by a tree.... pulled my call out and hit it a lick or two. And a Big Red tailed Hawk landed in a dead pine tree close to me. He grunted a few times and decided to make a meal of my Decoy..LOL He flew down and grabbed it and flew off with it. I jumped up and ran out after him . He was in the edge of the woods about a 100 yards away. Trying to chomp on that foam decoy ! A FIRST FOR ME ! I wish I'd had this one on video . My new decoy has a few battle scars .... LOL

flasherr

Reaction score
If i remember right there is coal tar in tgel dandruff shampoo. it is a thick dark substance but it does a good job on getting the hair snow to die down lol
Brian

KentOhio

Reaction score
I once had a chance to buy a half-gallon size Vapo-Cresolene, complete with labels and contents. The contents were like a black oil, but runny, that the antique dealer said was coal tar. That spooked me out because the labels said poison, and I ended up not getting it. I'm glad I didn't, actually, because I don't want that stuff around the house.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94