What causes this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I have this bottle in my collection of Paterson bottles but this one has this iridecent color on it when dry, when you wet it it disappears. I am new to the glass game and any help would be great, by the way it is a very rare local new jersey bottle that I own thanx to cyberdigger aka Charlie, I can;t thank him enough for letting me know about it, this place is great and you guys are amazing !!!!

146E299BB37246E6829710B509AC31FD.jpg

Attachments

• 146E299BB37246E6829710B509AC31FD.jpg
    146E299BB37246E6829710B509AC31FD.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 39

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The surface of the bottle has reacted with chemicals in the soil over many years. It causes very fine parallel grooves which act like diffraction gratings reflecting light in a rainbow-like pattern.
Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Gunther,
I always thought (from a non-scientific viewpoint) that suspended and dissolved minerals in the soil and water coated the glass over time when the ideal conditions were met. I have seen this coating just peel off sometimes - although at others it does seem entirely etched into the surface.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Nice bottle! How is this for a theory..... This is the basis of the optical band gap in a photonic crystal, of which opal is the best known natural example. In addition, microfractures may be filled with secondary silica and form thin lamellae inside the opal during solidification. The term opalescence is commonly and erroneously used to describe this unique and beautiful phenomenon, which is correctly termed play of color. Simply put a result of the break down of glass..... hydrous silica solution.... Taz

GuntherHess

Reaction score
How is this for a theory..... This is the basis of the optical band gap in a photonic crystal, of which opal is the best known natural example. In addition, microfractures may be filled with secondary silica and form thin lamellae inside the opal during solidification. The term opalescence is commonly and erroneously used to describe this unique and beautiful phenomenon, which is correctly termed play of color. Simply put a result of the break down of glass..... hydrous silica solution.... Taz

nice

glass man

Reaction score
Anyone else want to take a shot at it?
NO! NOT GOOD WORD BOUT TALKING BOTTLES! I DON'T KNOW WHAT YALL JUST SAID BOUT THE BOTTLE,BUT I KNOW YALL KNOW THAT IN WHICH YOU SPEAK! HEY IF YOU LIKE THE BOTTLE BETTER WITH OUT THE HAZE ON IT YOU CAN PUT A LITTLE OLIVE OIL ON IT,BUT I THINK IT LOOKS BEST AS IS! SIDES MIGHT SLIP OUT OF YOUR HAND AND...NICE BOTTLE! YEP CHARLIE IS AMAZING!![&:] JAMIE

kastoo

Reaction score
Some people like that effect But I hate it..I use baby oil to make it appear clean.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: tazmainiendigger

Nice bottle! How is this for a theory..... This is the basis of the optical band gap in a photonic crystal, of which opal is the best known natural example. In addition, microfractures may be filled with secondary silica and form thin lamellae inside the opal during solidification. The term opalescence is commonly and erroneously used to describe this unique and beautiful phenomenon, which is correctly termed play of color. Simply put a result of the break down of glass..... hydrous silica solution.... Taz

If those are your own words, I'm impressed. For that matter, even if they are not your own words, I'm still impressed. Sounds like you did your homework. Oh, BTW, Great Bottle!

PrivyCheese

Reaction score

Yea....what he said.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp