Bottle Show Etiquette

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Miles

Reaction score
Hey, I'll be going to my first bottle show sometime soon and I'd like to know, what is proper etiquette for these shows?
Can I just pick up the bottles without asking that are on people's tables, do people usually pay the sticker price?
Any other tips/tricks I should know?
Thanks in advance- Miles.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Most people dont mind if you pick up the bottles to inspect them. If you arent sure you can always ask first. Hold bottles in two hands, over table. Dealers appreciate when you are careful with thier bottles. If you break it , its yours.
I always ask politly if they will take an offer. Most dealers with give your some discount unless its a really cheap bottle they are basically giving away.
If a dealer is really busy , walk around aome and come back by.

annie44

Reaction score
I would say just about everyone expects you to pick up a bottle and examine it closely if you are thinking about buying it. Often, I will ask if it is okay if I take it to the outside door to see it in sunlight, too. What I hate is when people start chatting away with someone while holding my bottle, clinking their ring on it, moving it mindlessly from hand to hand, and then setting it down hard while almost knocking over something else!

I usually ask for a dealers best price, which is almost always below the marked price, and then I either take what they offer or leave it. I don't like to get into a back and forth haggling. I will consider any reasonable offers on any bottles I'm selling, and am not offended by low offers. I can always just say "no".

cc6pack

Reaction score
As Gunther said, I always ask as a courtesy. If you don't have a black light ask if there are any repairs, damage, etc. Check under any stuck on price labels. I always found it better to strike a conversation with the seller, sitituation permitting. They might have something you're interested in under the table, sometimes you can't get everything out on the table at once. In some parts of the world not haggling is considered an insult.[:D]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I'd also like to add ........... If you pick up a bottle , look it over , and decide you will buy it . Don't set it back down on the table until you get the dealers attention and tell him you want it. I had Howard Crow and his wife damn near snatch a bottle out of my hand at the Asheville Show . And they politely reached over in front of me and took a couple more I had pulled out and intended to buy as soon as I got the dealers attention. I said , Hey , I am taking those ....... and they just ignored me .
If you set it back on the table in front of you ....... beware ....... some think that the bottle is fair game. LOL

appliedlips

Reaction score
Good advice Brian, that happens all too often.. I am sure you been standing there hoping the "other guy" puts one down and passes on it.[;)] I know I have, but wouldn't have any patience for someone reaching across me to a group I was setting aside. That's just plain rude.

I for one always price my bottles higher than I want or will take for them. I know I expect to "deal" on anything I am buying so I leave room to haggle on mine.. Some dealers have 20-30% markups so always ask for best price or make an offer..

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Great advice people!

Here's an odd little thing that I've found. That room is full of experts of every type. There will be diggers, serious collectors, authors, historians etc . . . If you get a chance mingle. Ask for war stories. Most sellers are hoping you'll buy and love this hobby enough to share some interesting stuff. I met three local authors at my first bottle show. Every time I see them now, I always say "Hi" and learn a few more things along the way. Also, don't forget to have fun!

TJSJHART

Reaction score
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT TRADING AT A SHOW. I'VE GOT A FEW MEDS , PERFUMES VITAMIN AND A CARDBOARD AND WIRE 7-UP CASE . IS IT A GOOD IDEA TO TRY SOME TRADIN?

glass man

Reaction score
YEP! TJSJHART! MOST BOTTLES SHOWS DON'T LIKE SELLING OUT OF YOUR CAR,BUT IF YOU GOT SOMETHING TO TRADE LET THE DEALER KNOW. AT THE 1996 EXPO.[BIG EVENT EVERY 4 YEARS,PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY] I TOOK SOME NICE CURES TO SELL OR TRADE. I MET A CURE COLLECTOR WHO COULD NOT LEAVE HIS TABLE TO LOOK FOR CURES. I BOUGHT MINE IN AND SHOWED THEM TO HIM AND THOU NO TRADE AT LEAST HE BOUGHT THEM,AND WITH THAT MONEY BOUGHT SOME THING I WANTED. SO IT WAS KINDA OF A TRADE. DON'T BE AFRAID OF ASKING NOTHING![WELL BOTTLE WISE NOW![8D]] ALL THEY CAN DO IS SAY NO! I SOLD A [FOUND OUT LATTER] A GUY A $400+ PLUS BOTTLE. HE GOT IT OUTTA MY BOX OF BOTTLES AS I WAS WALKING IN TO SET UP. I HAD $35 ON IT AND HE ASKED WOULD I TAKE $30. I SAID YEP![KNOW YOUR BOTTLES!] NO SIR BOB TAIL NEVER HURTS TO ASK!!!GOT A COBALT HUTCH THAT WAS MARKED AT $90 AND ASKED [THIS IS THE LINE!] "WHATS THE BEST YOU CAN DO ON THIS"? HE SAID $40! NOW HAGGLING OVER! GOTTA KNOW WHEN YOU GETTING A GOOD DEAL AND QUIT NEGOTIATING,CAUSE AFTER THAT IT WILL GRATE ON A DEALER'S NERVES AND HE MAY NOT SELL TO YOU AT ANY PRICE! AND OH YES BE SURE TO LOOK FOR DAMAGE LONG AND HARD! EVEN THOUGH MOST BOTTLE SHOWS SAY FOR DEALERS TO LIST DAMAGE SOME DON'T KNOW OF THE DAMAGE THEMSELVES OR ARE JUST CHEATERS! HAVE LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY OVER THE YEARS AND JUST HAD TO LIVE WITH IT. AND LIKE ALL SAID,HAVE FUN! SOME OF MY BEST TIMES HAVE BEEN GOING UP AND DOWN BOTTLW AILES,LOOKING FOR TREASURE! GETTING IT HOME AND KEEP LOOKING AT IT FOR DAYS! I CAN TELL YOU ALMOST BOUT WHERE ALL MY BOTTLES CAME FROM,WHAT I PAID FOR THEM,AND WHAT FUN WAS HAD LONG THE WAY!GREAT BOTTLE MEMORIES IS WHAT IT IS! PRICELESS! FROM A BUCK UP [ OR LESS] ,THEY CAN BE HAD! JAMIE

TJSJHART

Reaction score
thanks jamie . i plan on going early to the phoenix show thats oct. 9 & 10 . i figure i'll post some pics here before hand and get some feed back from a few members. these bottles are things that i found at an old mine camp or were given to me. nothing that i collect . they are from the 50's and 60's . again thanks

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18