judu, Seen This?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
That's right you're from Greenville,but folks down here think Greenville- Spartanburg-Anderson is the same place or just one place.

That Spartanburg can be one ruff-ass place I stay away from there nowdays.

judu

Reaction score
thanks pat, i have not saw that web site, im having fun looking through it now.........yea, g-ville,spartanburg, anderson, its all called the upstate here....greenville is in the middle, spartanburg is an hour north and anderson an hour south...and spartanb. is a rough place indeed....thanks again for the link..

troughsc

Reaction score
I was curious as to why Spartanburg has a reputation for being a "rough place ?" I primarily dug in and around Spartanburg during the 1980's and 1990's. If it was one of those days where I didn't feel up to digging I would walk an inner city creek and see if anything had washed out of the embankments or you might could find me crawling beneath some building uptown [in search of bottles.] During the summer months [in my teens and early 20's] "every day was a quest for that next big find." A Cherokee Springs 1/2 Gallon was without a doubt my best recovery, followed by a W. L. Arndt Blob Beer from Spartanburg, etc. etc. etc. Many of my adventures led me into what some would consider to be "the worse areas of town" but I always dug solo, I never experienced any problems with locals [other than your curious onlooker wanting to know what "Whitey" was doing down there in that gully. There was a part of me left behind in every creek and gully in the vicinity of Spartanburg, the days of my youth, full of hope and dreams. I made some remarkable finds, a couple of envious bottle digging rivals, some wonderful memories. What I wouldn't give to be 30 years younger, in good health "and know what I know now." If your familiar with Piedmont Steam Bottling Company Hutchinson's, "I'am the guy who dug a cache of 132 of them back in 1991." My girlfriend and I had just left The Varsity, we stopped at this parking lot uptown and I noticed pieces of hutch's by the sidewalk. A 20 foot strip of gully lie in front of us and what did my girlfriend holler out ? "Here's one." It was the tail end of a hutch !! The top was sheered off but for the most part it was intact [something Campbell out of Asheville, N.C.] The next day I destroyed a brand new pair of $100.00 Nike's. Six inches down I struck the backside of a porcelain Piedmont Cigarette sign. When I pulled it up, steam rushed out from under it as though I had opened a freezer [it had a freezer smell to it.] Seven P.S.Bottling Company Hutchinsons laying perfectly side by side. By weeks end I'd recovered 132 P.S. Hutch's, 5 Campbell's Hutch's from Asheville, N.C., 27 wine bottles and about 14 miscellaneous soda's. I was inner city and any hole that I dug had to be filled in the same day. By weeks end I was drawing too much attention and told not to return. It's been many years now, what ? 27 years ago. I only took approximately 10 ft. of the gully down three feet [still another untouched 10 ft strip of gully left.] An 1891 map of uptown shows my spot as being the top of a 30 ft deep gully which runs beneath the parking lot. Behind my spot was the former residence of Simon Becker whom was an early Spartanburg, S.C. bottler. Anyone in the vicinity of Spartanburg interested in "serious digging" I'll trade what I know [bottle digging spots] for a portion of what is recovered.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora