Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master

jumbo peanutbutter

i just found this jar this morning.its a jumbo peanutbutter jar with an elephant on it. i have not found many jars so far worth keeping, this one was nice to find. on the bottom it says " its good for the kiddies"....right after i dug this my shovel snapped in half so i had to come home..me and that shovel have bonded over the summer and i was sad to see him go........anyone know if this is a pretty common jar. my wife took it from me and has it in her kitchen already......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 236F9423BB344212B8CFA95A3CFC095D.jpg  

RE: jumbo peanutbutter

ORIGINAL: judu
    my wife took it from me and has it in her kitchen already......
    You do understand this is usually a good sign, right!
    I don't know what they're worth, but there'll be a bunch of others on here that will.

Off hand i don't know what it's worth-----i have seen them on E-Bay----$10.00 or so-----they came in many styles-------some are worth a few$$$$$$[;)]-keep posting pictures as you find them------I think Marvin? is the person who knows more on them than me------Get yourself a Red Book[8D]---------Fred.

[quote]ORIGINAL: judu

i just found this jar this morning.its a jumbo peanutbutter jar with an elephant on it. i have not found many jars so far worth keeping, this one was nice to find. on the bottom it says " its good for the kiddies"....right after i dug this my shovel snapped in half so i had to come home..me and that shovel have bonded over the summer and i was sad to see him go........anyone know if this is a pretty common jar. my wife took it from me and has it in her kitchen already......

Hello Judu , your jar is pretty common , but I have always liked the Jumbos , they are from Cincinnati , and I have always been attracted to them . I had a good many of them for some time till I decided to get rid of most of them . There are a dozen or so different slogans on the bottoms of the one pound jars , can not think of all of them off hand . There are a good many shapes and sizes of them , and some of them are worth a good bit of money . Those lids are sure hard to come by though ! . My Misses has a couple of them in the kitchen as well .

HEY DAN. VERY NICE, JUMBOS ARE COMMON, BUT WILL ALWAYS BE DESIRABLE, YOURS LOOKS TO BE AN EARLIER VERSION ,DOES IT HAVE A PLACE ON THE BACK FOR A LABLE? OR IS IT SOLID STRIPES?, I ALWAYS KEEP EM, AND WHEN THE WIFE STARTS LIKING YOUR FINDS THATS EVEN BETTER! MIKE

I believe the one pound jars with the slogans on the bottom are from the fifties and possibly the forties , I am just guessing though . I am pretty sure the ones from the sixties did not have the slogans on the bottoms .

They are from the very late 20s thru 30s and are worth about $10 in that size. They come with 11 different sayings if I remember correctly and there is an Ice blue one that is super rare. Jumbo Peanut Butter came in sizes from 2ozs to a couple of pounds and a lot of different shapes. There are very collectible and where you find one there are usually others.

IN THE EARLY 40S THEY SWITCHED OVER TO PAPER LABELS, THE EMBOSSED BOTTOMS R FROM THE LATE 20S 40S THE 40S VERSION HAS A PLACE FOR A LABLE ON THE BACK, THE EARLY VERSIONS ALSO HAD A LABLE WRAPPED AROUND THE EMBOSSMENT,50S JARS WERE TOTALY DIFFERENT

UHHMM , didn't think the dump I dug mine out of was no earlier than the forties , guess I was wrong !

LC IVE DUG JUMBOS FROM THE EARLY 40S WITH THE EMBOSSED BOTTOMS BUT HAVE A PLACE FOR A LABLE ON THE BACK AND NOT MUCH AFTER 1942 THEY SWITCHED TO PAPER LABLE PLAIN JARS