"Good luck Lauren", "Mayor Tom" and the Holy Grail

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Alright,....Remarkable things happen now and again. Tom, me, and now Laur are just like most....We try to apply our logic and some luck, mixed with a dash of research now and then to find a fix for our (and you all's) obsession....Antique bottles. Well after a trying weekend of unexpected major home repairs, late Monday, Tom (Penn Digger) borrowed the probe to check out a rental property of a mutual friend....a good thing, permission....He ran out of daylight and time, so tonight after work he called me to come check out this backyard. We scoped around,...Laur found some tantalizing fragments right on the surface and we dug a couple of test holes, but no obvious privy...While Tom and Lauren dug, I went to check out a run down and condemned house adjacent to the yard we were in...I found a copper oval handeled kettle (for firewood) some antique baskets, up in an overhead storage cubby off the porch, there was even a bushel basket of crowntop embossed beers....and a peanutbutter style crock.Then I decided to crawl under this house....I looked in the crawl hole and thought I could see a med/chemist style bottle under there....I went up top and pryed off some porch boards where Mayor Tom had went through the rotten wood....Finally I walked to my truck and grabbed a flashlight. OMG....THE bottle Tom and I had only heard about and I've seen the only other known example, just 7 years ago. Before then I didn't even know such a local druggist existed. Tom and I are working towards a mutual project with the historic society....A book that was originally entitled "Bottles and Breweries of Bradford", but the concept has been expanded to include Drugstores and maybe local Dairys....Anyhow, Tom had obtaind permission to photograph the one known example of this druggist....Now we don't need to![:D][:D][:D]. Sorry for the big lead up but here it is.

6098CD861C254082A0B4AEFA528BA765.jpg

Edited for my hurried typing...

Attachments

• 6098CD861C254082A0B4AEFA528BA765.jpg
    6098CD861C254082A0B4AEFA528BA765.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 47

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Now all things aren't perfect and this guy has a lip chip (But we don't care!)[:D] anyhow the deepness of this teal is close to a Hall's Hair Restorer, or maybe a palmer green but not....I compared it to all my bottles and don't have any close to this exact true teal...Here's some more pics.

E8EE927B96354FF98A94EE8C2F1E4949.jpg

Attachments

• E8EE927B96354FF98A94EE8C2F1E4949.jpg
    E8EE927B96354FF98A94EE8C2F1E4949.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 42

Just Dig it

Reaction score
Wow guys congrats..Amazing it found itself into the most caring hands for it.The Real archielogists Making a difference everyday. Documenting the History and Passing it down..were they gonna drop a recking ball on the joint? Let me know when the books out i will buy a copy. It would add to the collection

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Now Tom is truely my best friend, (besides my wife) and we've shared alot of great adventures....He's generous to me, always there to help and vicey versey,...BUT the only equitable way to resolve this dilemma is,....well,...joint custody....yep....We'll just have to share this baby till another comes along.[:D]

1F197C66F47141DE9B273099FFC817B7.jpg

Attachments

• 1F197C66F47141DE9B273099FFC817B7.jpg
    1F197C66F47141DE9B273099FFC817B7.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 48

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Well thats all for now,....We couldn't wait to share this great find with everyone on here....Well okay, One more pic. (Tom...You can have the first turn with her)[&:] Joe
P.S. Laur also found a nice marble while I was under the house...A truely awful crawl...I found an unmarked amber applied double collar lip beer or ale, and when I went thru a narrow area under some hanging plastic sheeting, I surprised a housecat as bad as he surprised me and he, well, to put it crudely, crapped himself about 3 feet away from me while I was trying to get the light up to see what the hell was under there w/ me...LoL[:D]

56A43D202E8F437D9DA0503B8DEEB197.jpg

Attachments

• 56A43D202E8F437D9DA0503B8DEEB197.jpg
    56A43D202E8F437D9DA0503B8DEEB197.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 40

RedGinger

Reaction score
I dug myself silly, stupidly lol. Found a "china white" marble. I would like to go back to this spot. There's something very unique about Joe's bottle. You should have heard the "Woohoo" as he came out from under the house. We need to go back to this spot.
Tom and I saw the cat approach the house Joe was under and Tom jokingly said, "That cat is going to scare Joe!" Sounds like the opposite happened lol.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
OMG again....Thanks everyone who responded and is looking,....It's been a long time since I was this shocked to find such a thing. Yes...and the house IS slated for the wrecking ball....just not sure how soon. I made myself crawl al the way to the front wall,...but couldn't reach the front porch....That still needs a look over, there were also broken shoo-fly flasks and clear local pharms under there along w/ leaking sewer pipes and deep water holes...We'll maybe we'll get another look soon. J.B.

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
I have never found a local medicine in teal. That one sure is a beauty. I'm sure there is still more treasure to be found in that area. Keep us posted.

Jim

Reaction score
Absolutely killer find, guys. There's something special about a guy who will crawl under a decrepit structure, navigating cesspools and wild, feral beasts by flashlight, and...usually not get a stinking thing for his efforts! Once in a while, such efforts pay off in a big way, and a wonderful piece of history is rescued to be enjoyed. This is one of those times. Way to go, Joe!

While I have never seen a colored druggist from my town, this just goes to show that nobody really knows what all could be out there. Just an awesome bottle. ~Jim

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi