Not a Clue? Large Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shez5523

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Bottle or Jug , Not really sure.
This stands approx 24" tall, it is approx 53" round at widest point.
( Running a tape around it )

It has what looks to be a cork top. 2" inside Dia.
the neck is approx 3.5" - 4" in hight.
It is a clear green in color. It has a number of small and large bubbles within the glass. Not very heavy for it's size, Approx 14 lbs.
It has no handles.

As you can see I don't even know what to call it or what it was used for. So anything would help at this point.
My guess is some kind of storage bottle. But I have know idea What it is. year or value if any. No markings I can find.

Yes. Also needs a good cleaning as the white spots bellow the flash is white paint, and a ring around the top as it was filled with something at one time.

Thank You

Mk26845.jpg

Attachments

• Mk26845.jpg
    Mk26845.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 118

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi , Nice bottle! I have two of them... I got them 5 years back or so. The older couple I purchased them from brought them back from Greece, when her hubby was stationed there in the late 50's. They told me they saw water being transported with these when there. The lower part on my bottle also tapers like yours not like a modern day water jug. Mine has interesting step like progessions on the shoulders when the mold maker made the curves for the bottle. Mine also has two seams that run to the bottom of the applied lip, and the lip has seam marks 180 degrees opposed to the bottle seam. Through my research I have come to this conclusion they were acid or wine bottles probally had a wooden crate to protect it or quite possibly a wicker type shroud. The value to the right person I would guess at $150.00. I paid 50.00 for the pair I have and they look great out in front of this 1843 farmhouse, just dont get kids or the lawnmower to close! My "guess" on the age would be late 1800's early 1900's hope this helps... Taz

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
It could be a carboy, or it could be a demijohn. By the time this bottle was produced, the distinction between carboy and demijohn was determined, by size, by the original contents, and by the type of protective covering the bottle was given.

Read more about demijohns and carboys, including the derivation of the words at:

Etymology of "demijohn" and "carboy"

-------------Harry Pristis

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp