fleabay screwing its users again.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottle_head9

Reaction score
I just sold five bottles last week.Ebay got 48.00 and paypal took like 12.00. I basically gave two of my bottles away.there is no other place that I know of with the amont of buyers as ebay.It SUCKS![:mad:]

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
there is no other place that I know of with the amount of buyers as ebay.It SUCKS!

Which is exactly why they know they can bend us all over and screw us right in the pocketbook. At the end of the month when I have to pay my fees I always subconsciously figure out how many bottles I just gave away to the bay.

privvydigger

Reaction score
I ship USPS and have never had a problem...However you can usually drop my packages off a ten story building and they would be fine. The incident of which your showing would be covered cleary at any post office. I would have opened it there at the post office. eBay is eBay still the best place til something else comes along. eBay changes everyday everyday something moves or switches.

baltbottles

Reaction score
To figure out ebay’s strategy all you have to do is look at its biggest competitor online which is Amazon.com its ebay’s goal to be more of a mega internet storefront. Most items listed on ebay anymore are new items or over stock surplus. These can be offered at huge discounts compared to retail stores. Also if there is a problem with the item its very easy for the buyer to simply send it back for an exchange or refund. This type of online selling has become a multi-billion dollar a year business and ebay wants to have the biggest market share.

From ebay,s point of view the items that cause the most hassle for them are unique items that are hard to find and can't simply be replaced. These are the types of items that are more likely to have paypal claims filed for the item not being as described or arriving damaged due to amateur packaging. Very few antique sellers pay a professional packager where as larger stores do pay someone to package and ship their items. The removal of insurance along with the continued fee hikes and enforcing of paypal are all aimed to make these unique items which usually have very small profit margins when compared to new merchandise unprofitable to offer on ebay.

This is all part of ebay’s strategy to become something other then an online flea market. I wouldn't be surprised that in 4 or 5 years they start talking about going to an all fixed price format with just stores and doing away with auctions all together.

Chris

morbious_fod

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: milkglassbottles

The buyers are having a field day for pennies on a dollar. I have had it with selling, I'd rather give it away to a good home and collection than sell it to some bone picking parasite on greedBay. Incidentally the bottle in this package was undamaged. Thank God someone wrote FRAGILE on the box or it might have been mishandled.

4F7F875505294A32BA48D8BBD6C8561A.jpg

Look I understand that ebay is screwing you, but your only response is to attack the buyers? Oh yeah the buyers are the problem, that's like a business blaming the customers because the government regulates, and charges them too much in taxes. Look the buyers pay whatever the item ends up selling for, the shipping costs, and even insurance on the item, they are paying full price for everything they buy. The buyers aren't getting any kind of a break, so your remark that the "buyers are having a field day for pennies on a dollar" it completely inaccurate to say the least. From your stand point it appears that way because eBay and Paypal are ripping you off, it's not like the buyers get a coupon or kickback from ebay, so how are they suddenly "bone picking parasites"? With the attitude that you have displayed toward the buyers, then you need to stop selling on ebay, because you certainly don't appreciate your customers.

Miles

Reaction score
Because it's become so one-sided in the way of the buyer now. For instance now that you don't have the option to add insurance people that don't buy it can easily be chargebacked by buyers that have received their item, will be getting discounted shipping if the sellers do insure the product, and on top of that, can only be left positive feedback if they do something unscrupulous.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
I haven't had any eBay items listed for quite awhile now. I had a 100 feedback until one bidder decided that playing games would do the trick to just screw me over. Within a couple of days. he filed a claim for the book, saying it was never delivered, just the packaging. He never answered my inquiry, which would have been a simple question: What did the packaging look like? I have several types of packaging and they are very specific for each shipment. His answer would have taken only minutes to give me. He never answered my inquiry and it had been sent to him TWICE. All of this was over a small like-new book that I sent to him. He bid $5.00 for the book plus $3.00 for shipping. He was a Canadian. I bring this up because I had stated that my auctions were for domestic bidders ONLY. But, since he was a Canadian, I decided to ship it to him at greater cost to me. After paying for eBay fees, PayPal fees, and the true shipping, I actually lost money (forget about the cost of the book!). As for as I can see, he received the book at no cost to him. I posted a "Positive" feedback that stated "Positely, negative, negative, negative." That was the only thing I could do under eBay's rules that favor the bidder and do not allow the seller to post a negative feedback.

So eBay has lost a lot of money. Many of my listings that I had set up withing a few weeks had legitimate expected bid in the $200 to $500 range and up. Who lost on this case? Not me!

This is not a disgruntled eBay seller, it's a reason why I haven't put anything else on eBay's auction.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
Oh , when I typed "100 feedback, I clearly meant 100 percent feedback."

GuntherHess

Reaction score
One of the most important peices of advice I would give to new sellers is dont allow foreign bidders. I have nothing against selling to people in other countries but i can say that in the last 10 years about 90% of the problems I had were with foreign bidders. For one reason or another it just causes problems. I wish it wasnt true because people in places like Europe and Japan pay really good prices for items and are typically very nice people. Its often not thier fault but a problem with shipping, language , money changing, or Ebay's different implementation in that country .
And you cant just state in you auction that you dont sell outside the USA, you have to block bidders outside the USA in your auction setup because they will bid anyway if they can.

Pardon me for starting a "smack ebay upside the head thread" every so often. It helps me take out my aggression[;)]

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis