Hertel Beer, Chicago

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Saigonjoe

Reaction score
I would appreciate any information you may have on this bottle including rarity and price. I am not a collector. This bottle is from my great grandfather's beer business in Chicago around 1890. Any help is appreciated. EHE Co mold. Slug plate reads: Louis Hertel, 218 Bosworth Ave, Chicago, Ill. I also have an aqua bottle, also a blob top, from SB&G Co with a slug plate that reads: "L. Hertel, Chicago" Any other examples out there?? I can't sell these bottles because they are both embossed on the back: "This bottle not to be sold" Thank you.

Nl28553.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced - Admin

Attachments

• Nl28553.jpg
    Nl28553.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 110

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
RE: Hertel Beer, Chicago- EHE Co. & SB&G Co.

EHE Co. refers to the EDWARD H. EVERETT GLASS COMPANY, Newark, Ohio, 1883-1904. By 1900 this company was operating six furnaces for beer, soda, and liquor bottles; but only a limited number of Illinois bottles have been found with this company's mark. (I have a 2.5 gallon, amber demijohn from this glasshouse.)

SB&G Co. refers to the STREATOR BOTTLE & GLASS COMPANY, Streator, Illinois, 1881-1905. This was one of the most successful Illinois glass manufacturers.

Both of these glasshouses were absorbed by the AMERICAN BOTTLE COMPANY. Remember, this first decade of the 1900s saw the introduction of the Owens Bottle Machine. The resulting revolution in bottle-making caused many glasshouses to close or to merge for economy of scale.

Ref: SOFT DRINK BOTTLING, A History with Special Reference to Illinois, by John R. Paul and Paul W. Parmalee (1973).

-----------Harry Pristis

Saigonjoe

Reaction score
Thanks Harry,
I appreciate the information on the bottle maker marks. I am trying to gather info for my son so he will know that he descends from a family of astute beer lovers. Unfortunately, there is not too much history available on Hertel beer since my ancestors were probably too smashed to write anything down. Here is a photo of the aqua example of Hertel beer which I think came later than the amber, but not by much.
Saigon Joe

Qn38349.jpg

Picture cropped and reduced - Admin

Attachments

• Qn38349.jpg
    Qn38349.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 100

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads