Southern pontil meds are far and few between

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
There wasnt a lot of industry in the South before the Civil War so i am always interested to see Southern made pontil meds.

recent sale.
http://antiquemedicines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=161

Miles

Reaction score
A truly wonderful bottle and a good point, I haven't really seen many pontil meds from the south, it's always been more sodas and the like.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Most of the ones I can think of were from the big population centers like New Orleans, Richmond, Charleston, ect.

capsoda

Reaction score
Yep they are rare. Small town docs would put a homemade remedy or cure in what ever the patient brought in with them to hold it. I also suspect that some used small clay vessels. I had an aunt who was very old in the early 1960s who made some home cures and kept them in what looked like clay ink bottles because she said that was what all doctors did. She put tape on them and labeled them. I guess she concidered herself a doctor???

I remember them because she gave me something that made a belly ache go away after I ate to many mulberries and sweet carrots. They didn't mix and she saved me with something that was terribly sweet but it worked and as far as I was concerned she saved my life.

There are also records of a Dr. Bosso in Pensacola, FL who put his yellow fever cure in a wooden barrel in front of his store so anyone who needed it could have it for free and put it in what ever vessel they had. It cost him his life but the murderer was never captured, the recipe disappeared and from what I understand from talking to his relatives no one tried very hard to find the killer because a judge and several prominent Drs and pharmacists didn't want the killer or the recipe found. I guess it really worked.

There are very few embossed meds form the area much less pontiled meds.

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

Most of the ones I can think of were from the big population centers like New Orleans, Richmond, Charleston, ect.
MOBILE,SAVANNAH,AND SEEMS LIKE I REMEMBER ONE OR SO FROM MACON ,GA. THAKS FOR SHOWING US THAT BOTTLE AS LIKE YOU SAID NOT MANY IN THE SOUTH!

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: capsoda

There are also records of a Dr. Bosso in Pensacola, FL who put his yellow fever cure in a wooden barrel in front of his store so anyone who needed it could have it for free and put it in what ever vessel they had. It cost him his life but the murderer was never captured, the recipe disappeared and from what I understand from talking to his relatives no one tried very hard to find the killer because a judge and several prominent Drs and pharmacists didn't want the killer or the recipe found. I guess it really worked.
That's a great story.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi