How old are these ketchup bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

fpgill

Reaction score
These two Blue Label Ketchup bottles were unearthed during an excavation to add an addition to a home in Lexington, MA in 2000. Can anyone tell me how old they are? (For all I know they are recent - I just thought I'd ask here!):

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Thanks for any info?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I don't know date codes, but style-wise they are definitely from around 1930ish

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello fpgill; It looks like your bottle was made by Diamond Glass Co. I also agree that it is probably a 1930 1940 bottle. Because it looks like the bottle has a CT thread and a transfer bead, I am the opinion that it is an ABM product.
RED Matthews

coboltmoon

Reaction score
I don’t think it is Diamond glass, there mark had a D inside a diamond. Looks like an Owens Illinois glass makers mark to me. If that is the case it is after 1929 which is when the mark was first used.

The number to the right of Owens mark is the date code. After 1940 there was a two digit code starting with a four or a single digit followed by a period to make it different then the 1930’s code. Some of the 1940s bottles only used a single digit without a period and can be confused with the 1930’s date code. The Owens date code is not 100% accurate and commonsense and other bottle info has to be used.

madman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: coboltmoon

I don’t think it is Diamond glass, there mark had a D inside a diamond. Looks like an Owens Illinois glass makers mark to me. If that is the case it is after 1929 which is when the mark was first used.

The number to the right of Owens mark is the date code. After 1940 there was a two digit code starting with a four or a single digit followed by a period to make it different then the 1930’s code. Some of the 1940s bottles only used a single digit without a period and can be confused with the 1930’s date code. The Owens date code is not 100% accurate and commonsense and other bottle info has to be used.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glass man

Reaction score
DIDN'T OWENS-ILLINOIS MERGE IN 1928 AND THAT IS THE MARK ON THE BOTTLE? YEP LIKE SAID I TOO SAY 31. JAIMMY

coboltmoon

Reaction score

Glass man I did a quick Google search and it looks like 1929 is when the company was merged and formed. I have heard of ultra rare examples with a 1928 date code but I did not want to confuse the issue. The 1928 code if they exist were probably a glass plant jumping the gun or a holdover or misprint in 1929.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1