GARLEGANT'S BALSAM of HEALTH

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Updated my local Frederick Maryland web site with information about one of the few embossed pontil marked medicines from the town here.
GARLEGANT'S BALSAM of HEALTH
http://antiquemedicines.com/Frederick/MillerJohnS.htm

mike_smithe

Reaction score
Anyone out there want to sell some good used bottle tumbling equipment/machine?
Or know of one for sale? thegangs@hotmail.com

phil44

Reaction score
Matt I actually dug some of those in that dump near your house. It was when I first start collecting. I figured they weren't that good since they had no city embossed on them. Gave one to my friend who now lives in Seattle and kept one which fell and broke.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Someone must consider them good because they sell pretty durn high[;)]
Guess I will have to dig some local privies to get one.
I saw the ONeills on the upcoming GLass Works auction. They are sure estimating it high.
They are calling it "possibly unique" , thats quite a claim.
One thing that is odd...the old ads I am seeing for P. Oneill's medicine advertise it as the Anti-Rheumatic Decoction and Liniment, not Catholicon? Have you seen an ad that mentioned Catholicon?

phil44

Reaction score
Yea someone does, and I do now, I'm talking 20 years ago when I was just beginning to dig. I was more into Liver Syrups then.

Not sure when I found out the bottle was from Frederick probably about 10 years ago, one ran on Ebay with the info from a SC news paper ad. or something.

I've seen other Oniell bottles in the Greer catalogue, there's one thats shaped like a Walkers Vinegar Bitters embossed around the bottom heel and pontiled. It's in a green yellow color and I have Catholicon shards in the same color so it's probably from Frederick. I have other Oniell bottles, I think they are from Ohio or somewhere, atleast thats where they sometimes turn up. @ one time I thought they were the same Co. Not as positive now-still wouldn't surprise me if it was. However, Oniel is spelled differently on the small rectangular ones I have and probably produced from a different glass house.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I am thinking Dr P. Oniell was originally a druggist in Frederick in the 1830s then he moved to (or at least was selling) in Ohio in the 1840s. He apparently dropped the last L on his name by that time. I'll make a post of what I know when I get a chance.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
http://www.antiquemedicines.com/Frederick/Oneil.htm

Here is my update web page for O'Neill. Not much new for you but you may not have seen that 1837 ad before.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky