are engraved and embossed bricks worth anything?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
Found this in the river...was completly white....put it is some CLR and voila like new minus some erosion wear. Are bricks like this worth anything because they are so old? This one says Bloomfield, IN. but, i have found a few that say boston brick also. Thanks -Jon

Mk25621.jpg

Attachments

• Mk25621.jpg
    Mk25621.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 168

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
I'll pick one up here & there too. This one is an old Baltimore co. Don't know if their collectable or not but they don't make em that way anymore so why not........you could always build that bar-b-que...........

Ay75901.jpg

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Ay75901.jpg
    Ay75901.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 100

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi guys ,
Great bricks ! I believe most of them with the writting on them are paving bricks ( used to pave streets in the old days). Most are larger than your everyday house bricks you get now a days at the brick yard.
They are valuable if you have several hundred of them. I have seen several firplace profiles done in these ...... they make a great looking fireplace. And there is a market for them if you get enough to do a profile.
Brian

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
Do they all have to be the same kind of brick? Or can they say diff. things...Also do they have to be the exact same size? And if by chance I saved enough, how many are we talking about, about how much would i get, and how would i go about selling them? thanks - jon

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The calvert bricks are pretty common. People do collect marked bricks and some sell pretty good. You'd have to research each type to figure out if its collectible.

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
and where would I find information like that? what would i search for...There is no info on bloomfield, in.........

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
if you could find enough you could sell them to a salvage co. but they usually want 1000's of them & they probably wouldn't give you enough for your troubles. Collectors are usually looking for the street bricks over a hundred years old. These ones we find usually aren't that old; I would just like to find enough at one time (and where I could get my truck to) for a home project. Best bet would be to run classifieds on them, if they want 'em they'll come..........

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
well hell, its not like i go looking for em.....when i stumble on to them from now on i will take them, and eventually i bet i could build a freakin house[:D]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I collect bricks, but know little about them. I have found bricks with names at old house sites that are being torn down and in the downtown areas when demolition is in progress. I found about 20 older clay bricks along one back alley in an old residential neighborhood...all were marked CHILHOWIE....(Chilhowie,VA.)...neat bricks, as some were distorted from usiong primitive molds. At an old farm house I found about 50 clay bricks with a pattern on one side...color variations were subtle but plainly seen.
I made a walkway out of most of my bricks and used about 16 at the base of my porch/deck steps....
I need ta take a few pics and post 'em....heh.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu