OVER TO THE DARK SIDE...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
Here are some recent acquisitions of "black glass"...

Us52835.jpg

Attachments

• Us52835.jpg
    Us52835.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 95

bearswede

Reaction score
First up a rich, really dark root beer Dr. Soule's Hop Bitters (with a backward "S")...

Does not pass much light; nice and crudely made; bubbly... Arrived from New Zealand last week... When I saw the box it came in at the P.O., I thought an elephant must have sat on it... after he and his herd had used it for a month of soccer practice!!! Still, not a nick on that bottle when I opened the package holding my breath...

Ki18339.jpg

Attachments

• Ki18339.jpg
    Ki18339.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 104

bearswede

Reaction score
Next, a sweet little dark green blacking bottle. Full of bubbles and with wavy glass, this beauty was much cheaper than the rest at the two bottle shows last month in NH... It was not until after I bought it, however, that I discovered why: There was a small nick off one of the base edges; really had to be felt before you noticed it... Anyway, a dab of casting resin made it pretty much disappear...

Nl29361.jpg

Attachments

• Nl29361.jpg
    Nl29361.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 94

bearswede

Reaction score
Finally, a nice very dark green geometric ink... Doesn't pass much light at all... It has a couple of small nibbles off the edge of the mouth disk... I'm in the process of filling those presently... This one came in under $100...

Ron

Nl30116.jpg

Attachments

• Nl30116.jpg
    Nl30116.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 87

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey, Woody...

I've just recently started to amass semi-cabins... Mostly Doyle's but I have two Soule's in my possession... I had another but sold it a few years ago...

I have in mind doing a display for the 2006 Saratoga show... It would be on semi-cabins, centered around the Doyle's/Soule's/German Hop Bitters story...

When I get my next specimen (I have 9 right now), I'll post a rogue's gallery photo on the forum...

Ron

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Ron ,
I love that Soule's ! I had one I sold a few years back with the backwards " S " that was Black / Olive green ..... wish I'd kept that one !!!! Oh well , Had to free some cash up for Drake's .
Did you see the Soule's on ebay ? It has a very unusual hops motif and the bottle has a different shape at the shoulders . I have only seen one other in this mold variant . It is quite unusual and I would say rare mold variant for here in the U.S. . It appears the bidding has picked up on it a little. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=890&item=6178072425&rd=1
Maybe the Aussie collectors might have some info on this mold variant ????
Brian

bearswede

Reaction score
Ah, Brian...

Must you tempt me thusly when I am so broke (and bitter, as it were)...

Some nice one, that is!!! ARRRRGHGHGH....

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Nice pieces Mr. Swede. Beautiful ink as well as the Dr. Soule's. I think black glass, with a million seed bubbles can be one of the most stunning colors you can find. [;)] Happy Diggin, Kelley

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum