soaking bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tony14

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to put in a bucket that you are soaking bottles in?
I've heard bleach but would that hurt the color of the aqua, cobalt and amber bottles?

swizzle

Reaction score
I don't think it would hurt the color of the glass at all. If your really worried try to soak some new colored bottles in it before you try the older ones. I also read one post where a guy said to soak your bottles in vinegar. You might want to try that instead. Swiz

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
it will only hurt them if it can soak all the way through them.and that aint happening. it may hurt the surface, but then again I soak some of mine in water and muratic acid
16 to 1 mixture
16 water 1 acid and they come out fine, unless they are etched.

rick

bne74honda

Reaction score
HI Tony,

I usually soak my bottles in soapy water and vinegar for a day and then in a mix of water and muriatic acid for a week or more. I have to admit to using a pretty strong blend tho'....usually 3 parts water to 1 part acid. But I have yet to come across a bottle that doesn't get clean that way.

The main problem with that concentration is two-fold...1) if left soaking too long, it is possible to etch the bottles and 2) disposal of the mixture.

Personally, I use baking soda to neutralize the acid to the point where it can safely be dumped in my yard. For a 3 to 1 mix totalling about 1 gallon I usually need 4 standard size boxes. The acid is neutralized when it stops fizzing up.

Of course after each of these soakings, I go through a scrubbing process.

Brian

bubbas dad

Reaction score
i have been trying barkeepers friend . it was recommened by others here. i tried as a paste on tough stains and soaking in it. it worked real well in all cases so far.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi