my Illegal Hartford Ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CTdigger76

Reaction score
Folks,

After no luck with permission was refused by everyone, asked top state archies (competition envy) , construction site formen (legal liability reasons), state capitol state rep (R) I know personally (my collegues would laugh at me reasons) but I just had to get on this once in a lifetime site so this is my best glass find, Williams&Carleton Hartford, CT ink bottle , still uncleaned ( I leave all mine uncleaned) the site that went up tp 20 feet below Hartford, CT is now a foundation, I reached clay and water levels which is rare for a major city anywhere this pit probably reached to 1650 colonial settler levels! Im amazed that the local archies (archaeologists) didnt do S*hit ab out reasearching this opportunity, I found pottery shards deep in there types that I only dug before in Europe! it sucks that they are so poor in working with the public "amateurs" (we probably see more old stuff than they do and it pisses them off! Anyway someone please let me know what type of ink I have, is Hartford Ink rare? did Mark Twain use this ink bottle to write one of his books???? Did Sam Colt use it to draw up a gun idea?

Best,

Rob in Hartford

Jh15810.jpg

Attachments

• Jh15810.jpg
    Jh15810.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 62

VTdigger

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing back and old topic but I just I found one like that today, I found it odd that this company made ink because I have 2 druggist bottles from Williams & Carleton. I've also found quite a few bottles in this size and shape with no embossing. it was found in a little newer part of the dump where I stated was late 1890's early 1900's. Buried along this bottle, I found a nice Kilmer's sample remedy bottle. It's so good to get back to digging its been to hot this summer to dig to much and even my best dump had a few digs where II found nothing at all, mainly because it was to hot to really concentrate on digging when I was sweating my butt off just walking to the dump.

tigue710

Reaction score
Williams and Carleton produced a vast amount of products, ink being one of them. These are actually pretty common in CT, and sell for around 20 bucks. They date to the turn of the century.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Lots of Pharmacists sold ink. In the earlier days, say 1840ish, I'd bet most of them did... You are no doubt familiar with MK Paiine out of Windsor? He sold ink under the Ethan Allen label. Small town Pharmacists sold, I'm betting, anything that their customers would buy that they could make up and put in bottles (a fair amount of the early ink in this country was ink powder that was put into liquid form by local retailers).

Jim G

ORIGINAL: VTdigger

Sorry for bringing back and old topic but I just I found one like that today, I found it odd that this company made ink because I have 2 druggist bottles from Williams & Carleton. I've also found quite a few bottles in this size and shape with no embossing. it was found in a little newer part of the dump where I stated was late 1890's early 1900's. Buried along this bottle, I found a nice Kilmer's sample remedy bottle. It's so good to get back to digging its been to hot this summer to dig to much and even my best dump had a few digs where II found nothing at all, mainly because it was to hot to really concentrate on digging when I was sweating my butt off just walking to the dump.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
A man named E Waters was an ink maker out in the Troy NY area. He made stove blacking and shoe polish, he also made a lot of his own glass - according to a member of our bottle club.
RED Matthews

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown