Anyone had any luck in the country?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Hi folks... just wondered if anyone had ever had any good digs out in the country? Any good privies?

John.

Pontiled

Reaction score
Yes, John, we dug a pit near Warrenton, Va., way out in the country. It was a Civil War pit that was dumped into for a few years later. Great place! We found it because of the loose small pieces of glass at the surface.

IRISH

Reaction score
Not counting Goldfields sites (some of them had up to 20,000 diggers on them in the 1850s with nothing left to show for it but broken glass and bricks) I have found a few good tips on friends farms, but haven't for a long time now (haven't been looking).
I have found some nice stuff in tips piled up on the surface in a few places but dunny holes (privies) are very hard to find on most farms.

The first dig I ever dug was here at home in a gully between this house (1890s) and the old one (1860s rebuilt 1922 now a hay shed), they where wombat holes used to tip the dunny cans into and full of bottles, been hooked ever since [;)] .

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Hi folks! Thanks for your replies. Pontiled... was that civil war pit a woodliner, brick or stone... and how deep was it? I'm trying out some nicer country homes in Ky and am just curious about your country pit.

John.

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
Up here in upstate Ny,farm houses and a few barn or even celler hole sites date back to the late 1600's,also we have the mohawk and eerie canal right next to us and farm sites are the places to hit,check the barns,look for the privys/garbage pits or area that lush vegatation is growing where it's not supposed to "privys are good fertal dirt",also impressions and small indentations on flat land usualy indicate a garbage pit which pits could have been dug numorous times over 100 or so years.
Also check for old wells,and privys on farms can and somtimes be very hard to find especialy if the farm has been there for 200+ yrs,but a good hint is to stand at the backdoor of the house and walk 20 to 40 feet straight out and ya might come across a diggin spot,remember people didnt want to walk that far to go to the "lightly said" craphouse..LOL,,,,
Also a sure sign of a bottle/garbage pit is finding old ceramic fragments or large ceramic containers......from my diggn exp "which isint that much, but enough" i'd figure that instead of diggin a 6 to 20 foot privy hole,that alot of farm faimlys just used the pots then tossed them,due to the fact that having them readily avalible and using them instead of 6 to 8 hours of diggin a hole when so much needed to be done on the farm...
but hope that helps/.. and good luck

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac