Did you know your bottle may be worthless?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
This sucks....looks like im tossin a lot of stuff....This link goes to a site that has many bottles listed that are not worth anything....Is your favorite on there? hope not.... http://www.antiquebottles.com/common.html

diggermeister

Reaction score
Well, this opens up a real "can (or should I say) bottle of worms"; First, one must decide why they collect? Is it for the potintial value of the bottle? Our is it because they LIKE it? I personally love the hunt. Digging for bottles is a great meditation for me. The idea of discovering the past really gets me going. I would be lying, though, to say that I do not dream of finding that very rare and very valuable piece.
It has been said, and I agree that, "something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it". Just look at the, "Sodas..." forum for the thread titled, "$200 bottle cap" for a great example of this theory.
The list (link) shown above, which I have seen before, is based on OPINION. Encluded in it are many bottles that are fun to own and nice to look at as well as exciting to find. I would not mind adding a few of the ones listed to my collection. I also believe that making a blanket statement like, "all screw tops are worthless" is rash and down right silly. I have included a photo of a dreaded screw cap that I recently dug up and then sold on eBay for $42.00, hardly "worthless". (Pictured is a Zippo Fluid Refill Bottle circa 1940). According to the 'list' I sould have just thrown it back in the hole. I kept it because it was interseting to me. I did not know at the time that it was a sought after collectable. I just thought it was cool.
I don't, I can't, keep EVERY bottle I find. If I did I would be up to my elbows in glass. But I refuse to let some arbitrary list dictate to me what I sould and should not collect. Please, don't get me wrong. These type of lists and, certainly, published 'guide books' etc. are important to establish guide-lines to aid the collector. However, thay are NOT the absolute last word!
OK, I'll get off of my soap box now. But, remember it's NOT about what a bottle may be $worth$ but, how much you value the experience of ownership.

Om33168.jpg

Attachments

• Om33168.jpg
    Om33168.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 71

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi digger ,
I don't think Reggie's list is telling you what you want or should collect. I believe it is a list for newbie collectors to use as a reference on a bottle they may have found or are thinking about purchasing. I see nowhere in his page saying " It's worthless throw it back in the hole " . But , rather that these bottles in the list are very common and not desirable to most of general public and most collectors......not that people can't or shouldn't add them to his or her collection if so desired. As the ole' saying goes " Different strokes for different folks " ! Reggie's site is one of the best on the net !
Brian

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That list has a lot of exceptions to it and could mislead novice collectors.
For example Duffy Whiskey bottles from Rochester ARE pretty worthless in medium amber but Duffy Whiskeys from Baltimore or odd color ones can be sold for a lot more than a dollar.
There are certainly a lot of Heinz bottles that are worth keeping.
At best it is a list of some bottles that could be considered common.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Your right !
But , the list is a generalization . If you listed all variants and color variants of common bottles the list would be HUGE and it would take years of research.
The list I think hits it about right ....and yes there are exceptions. But , the color variants are very rare and thus that's why the Bigger value ! I don't believe the list should be the one and only reference used in value . A person should come to this GREAT site and double check on a bottle ..... before tossing it back in the hole !
Brian

diggermeister

Reaction score
Hey all, I was hoping that there would not be those who took my above comments the wrong way. I never meant that the site mentioned or any other, was to be disregarded, disrespected or otherwise just plain "dissed".
I often refer to the above site (altough I'm not on a first name basis with the gentelman) as well as many others and find them most useful and informative.
In fact, if you read my previous post, I think there is a great service to be found in these "guides". I am, myself, just now in the beginning stages of research for my own guide to, "Federal Law Forbids..." post~prohibition liquor bottles.
My point was in reference to the title of this thread, "Did you know your bottles may be worthless?"; I advise ALL to collect what YOU like. 'Value is in the eye of the bottle~holder'! [sm=lol.gif] THANKS, GARY

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hey digger ,
I didn't in any way want to come off like I was jumping you or that I was saying you were dissing his site ! I appologize if it was taken that way !
I just wanted you to know that his site is very imformative to newbies.
You are correct about value is in the eye of the beholder . But , the beholder can't get his 1.00 bottle to sell on the bottle market for 1000.00 .
I think Reggie's site is refering to the bottle market and not sentimental value. That doesn't mean that a 1.00 bottle can't be priceless to you personally . But on the market it's still just a dollar bottle ! You see what I'm trying to say ?
He good luck with your collecting and if I run across any federal law forbids bottles I will send them your way.
Brian

diggermeister

Reaction score
Thank You Brian, No offense was taken. I believe that we are essentially saying the same thing...
Frankly I was shocked, yet happy, that the Zippo bottle I dug up went for that much. And, it was not just one collector. It had four different bidders for it.
My point (besides the top of my head) was; "anything is worth ($$ wise) exactly what someone is willing to pay for it". Sentiment not withstanding...GARY

RazorsEdge

Reaction score
I did not mean worthless to you.....I meant worthless as in you couldnt get a dime for it.[:D] Almost all my bottles are worthless because im kinda just starting out, but thats okay i still like them.....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky