Learning about Pot Lids

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

warnerradam

Reaction score
I have always found pot lids curious and finally bought one a few years back. I have heard there are a number of fakes out there-is this true. Any particular lids to stay clear of? Any good source besides Ebay to but them?

TROG

Reaction score
Hi
Most reproduction pot lids are copied from English lids and have not seen any U S examples other than a couple that have had a paper label applied to original old lids.
Have a look at this excellant site on pot lids and have directed you to the repro section.

http://www.deantiques.com/PLG/reproductions__copies.htm

David

glass man

Reaction score
I SOLD A MONELLS [? IF MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT] FOR GONORREA ETC. WISH I HAD IT BACK. SOLD IT FOR $250 BACK IN THE LATE 90S. WONDER DID I DO OK? JIM OF GLASS WORKS AUCTIONS SAID THEY WERE UP TO $1200 AT ONE TIME,BUT SOMEBODY DUG UP A WHOLE LOT OF THEM IN NEW YORK AND THE PRICE WENT DOWN.

I HAVE A HARDBACK BOOK ROUND HERE SOME WHERE ON POT LIDS.PRETTY OLD. DON'T KNOW HOW ACCURATE IT IS ANY MORE. JAMIE

cadburys

Reaction score
In the last few years I have seen several Monells go for about 100-200. I'd say you did okay. The book is not very accurate due to it's age, if it were made today it would contain over 50 more lids. (better check with David on that number)

Ant

Gidday

Reaction score
There are a couple of diffent ones in these. I have one thats a much smaller size with a brown transfer. Have to agreee with cadburys that the more common is in that range. The transfers on Monells are quite often weak or missing and it can take a bit of looking to get one mint.

Gidday

Reaction score
DEA_0563.jpg
[/IMG]

glass man

Reaction score
MINE WAS JUST LIKE THE ONE ON THE RIGHT. JAMIE. ALSO HAD THE BOTTOM WHICH I GUESS ADDS NO MORE VALUE.

Gidday

Reaction score
Having the matching base is always a bonus but in this case the bases are plain / generic (no transfer) and have no impact on value.

glass man

Reaction score
THANK YOU GIDDAY! THANK YOU TOO DAVID FOR THE LINK! WHAT ARE JUST A FEW OF THE MOST DESIRABLE LIDS IN THE USA AND WHAT ARE SOME OF THE PRICE RANGES? IS THERE A LINK TO THIS ALSO,SINCE MY BOOK IS SO OUT OF DATE,I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO KNOW. IF ANY ONE HAS THE TIME! THANK YOU! I FIND THESE FACINATING! JAMIE

wightdigger

Reaction score
hi
stay clear of the english bears grease lid atkinsons 5/- size loads of repros on ebay

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94