Help cleaning paper label bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

808 50th State

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I need suggestions on how to clean a bottle without damaging the paper label, one person suggested that I use some simple green and soak it inside the bottle and after soaking the bottle pour the gunk out, and repeat until the bottle cleans out, the bottle is about 1/2 full of old cod liver oil, yuk!!! any suggestions would be appreciated thanks Earl

4B199951AD1E4C90AFE239178094D7BE.jpg

Attachments

• 4B199951AD1E4C90AFE239178094D7BE.jpg
    4B199951AD1E4C90AFE239178094D7BE.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 65

glass man

Reaction score
COULD TAPE PLASTIC ALL AROUND THE LABAL,MAKING SURE IT IS NOT STUCK ONTO THE LABAL,ALSO MAKING SURE IT IS TAPED AIRTIGHT SO NOTHING WILL SEEP THROUGH. WHEN POURING THE GUNK OUT POUR ON THE OPPOSITE ON THE LABAL FOR EVEN MORE CAUTION.

MAYBE SOME ONE HAS A BETTER IDEA,BUT JUST MY 2CENTS WORTH. GOOD LUCK AND SHOW IT OFF CLEANED UP! JAMIE

surfaceone

Reaction score
Howzit Kiyabu,

I'm not a very accomplished cleaner, so take however many grains of salt, but I have had some good results using bamboo skewers, like you would use for yakitori or shish kabobs. With or without some paper towel, and/or rubber band on the end. With a little practice, you can kinda swirl the gunk outta there. They are also good for dislodging dirt and other stuff adhering to the insides.

Good luck, man. Please let us know how you do it.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have had pretty good luck cleaning darkened labels using water with a low concentration of bleach. But do it at your own peril.[;)]

Baydog51

Reaction score
I've had some luck wrapping the bottle from the neck down with saran wrap and wrapping it several times with electical tape over the saran wrap. Put some Dawn Power Dissolver in to soak, pouring it out and adding more power dissolver to it.

coboltmoon

Reaction score
Dawn Power Dissolver should work great for cleaning out the contents.

808 50th State

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, thanks for all the reply's, I can always count on you all for any question that I have, thanks again Earl

Plumbata

Reaction score
Well, since it is congealed oil, you could probably heat it up (slowly) to around 120 or 130 degrees or so, then just pour the melted oil out and use some solvent to get rid of the remainder. I'd bet some carbo-sol would take care of it immediately, but be careful to not get any on the label. If you have a funnel and can pour slowly then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you choose to heat it up, make sure the cork is not in place!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94