Your largest haul!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yes there is one in the middle that still had the cap on it! Looked like it was still full of Coke!!! I've got a pic of a bunch of em all cleaned up. I'll post it when I get a chance. We have three different styles of amber cokes here (base, mid and high script) and I think there is at least one of each version in that pic!

tristian bottle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: reallyrs

There is a dump on the Oregon coast that I have been told is 1/2 mile long.... I have seen probably 400-500' of it, it is in a gully 15-25 feet deep, both sides... YOu cannot walk without breaking glass. Less than a mile away is where ships from all over the world would dock and let their passengers off, or their cargo, and reload. What used to be a 40' bay is now less than 10' but in its day.... The amount of glass there defies imagination. How could this backwards coastal area have produced so much glass?? Im thinking ballast, and garbage from passenger vessels. Still, if you are indiscriminate, you can dig, or pick up, unbroken bottles as fast as you can put em down. It is horrible to find a killer bottle you would love to have on your shelf broken by that pickle jar you tossed to the side!! I will be at my parents for Thanksgiving, and I will post a pic or 2.

Wow that sounds like an awsome place

epackage

Reaction score
While digging in a dump one day I discovered a cache of ALL cobalt bottles. Over a hundred in all, with most being bromos. There were about ten or twelve others including a prices patent and a nice ink!!! There were also a bunch of insulators in that same area of the dump. Not sure what was up with that???
[IMG]https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/lexdigger/Bromos-1.jpg
We had a dump in town by me and they kept the clear, green, blue and amber seperate which I always figured was for reuse of the glass, if the people seperated at the dump the people there didn't have to do it when the glass was resold to be used again, maybe this is why ????
Jim

lexdigger

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the cokes cleaned up. This was the most coca colas I had ever dug in one day. If it wasn't for the cokes, we wouldn't have even dug this cistern out. It's a good thing we did cause it had a RARE Poison bottle in there!!!
cokes.jpg

Cap and original contents??? Never did open it to find out!!! LOL
cisterndigscleanedcoke.jpg

Also got a neat water cooler base, a toothbrush, a couple of meds and the poison. You can see it down towards the water cooler... a diamond and lattice in AMBER!!! Whoo Hoo!!!
cocacolasclean.jpg

We dug around 50 cokes that day and I took home 21 of em. I also got the Posion!!! We dug the cistern out next door to this one and it was the same. FULL of coca colas! We didn't get as many (about 30 or so), but we did get a neat aqua coke from Peoria.
cisterndigsone.jpg

kendolbottles1black

Reaction score
hows this for broken gingerbeers all from the one local company[&o]

6A4E0CD306214AE98339F3699663D853.jpg

Attachments

• 6A4E0CD306214AE98339F3699663D853.jpg
    6A4E0CD306214AE98339F3699663D853.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 61

beendiggin

Reaction score
I dug a great dump a few years back, so I resurrected the story and pics for old times sake. It was my best surface/ slope dump.

OK, so I'm getting my truck worked on at a local repair chain when i decide instead of sitting around in the waiting area for hours I would go outside and "explore". I didn't go very far because right behind the store was a slope and it looked pretty good. The slope was shallow, just a couple of small trees, and secluded. It was covered with a layer of coal slag and the usual stuff from the 1920's- 1930's. The first good sign was a broken spiral peppersauce in deep green. I dug down into the base about two feet and hit a thick layer of 1890's era bottles. In two hours I took home a Radam's Microbe Killer- Cures All Diseases, a Kendall's Spavin Cure For Human Flesh, a Kilmer's Swamp Root Cure, a Dr. Pierce's Favorite Prescription, a Dr. Shoop's Family Medicine, a Dr. Mile's Restorative Nervine, a Billings Clapp & Co. Chemists, 2 Dr. Sanford's Liver Invigorators, 2 Eno's Fruit Salts with tops, a Bunker Hill pickle, a Johan Hoff ale, a Carters 1897 inkwell, 3 Liquozones, a green tapered food with a sheared lip, a quart strapsided Warrented Flask, and a nice amber ground stopper shaped like a crown. Needless to say, I will be going back soon as I think I'm the first to hit this dump.

I made my second visit to the cure dump on Saturday and that dump has been very productive. I dug till noon and brought home around 50 bottles. Included were 2 more Radams Cures, 2 Swamp Root Cures, 2 S&P teal green peppersauces, a Bunker Hill Pickle canning jar with lid, Gilt Edge Dressing, Kickapoo Oil, Poor Richards Eye Water, Chamberlains Colic-Cholera-Diarhea Remedy, Dead Stuck For Bugs, Hoods Sarsaparilla, Fellows Syrup Of Hypophosphites, B.O. & G.C. Wilson Botanic Druggists, California Fig Syrup, Appedixine, Oakland Chemical Co., To-Ni-Ta, Hyudai Janos Bitter-Quelle, Shlotterbeck & Foss Portland, Noyes Granular Effervescent Magnesia Sulfate, Gilmore's Aromatic Wine, Geo. Torrey amber whisky qt., moss green 3-part whisky qt., The Purdue Frederick Co., Carbonal, Murine Eye Remedy, A. Trasks Ointment, J.D. McCann Co.- Hokara, Frelighs Tonic, Frelighs Liver Medicine, aqua cone ink, local druggist Pendelton Rockland, Dr. Sanford's Liver Invigorator, Dr. Shoops Family Medicines, Dr. Miles Restorative Tonic, Dr. Miles Remedy For The Heart, Dr. Pierces Favorite Prescription, Dr. Pierces Golden Medical Discovery, Dr. D. Kennedys Favorite Remedy, Billings & Clapp Chemists, Liquozone, Peruna, Lea & Perrins, 5 Enos Fruit Salt and 4 Enos Fruit Salt - Derivative Compound. One sad note: a broken emerald green Carters 1897 cone. Kinda hard to cry after the haul I made, though. Can't wait for the next round. It's been a long time since I've found a site this good!

Dug till noon again today and got my first embossed bitters, an amber Electric Bitters. Also took home another 50 bottles, including a Sample Bottle Foley's Kidney Cure, a pontilled unembossed aqua food jar with a nice outward rolled lip, (don't know how that got in there) a Rumford Chemical Works, Shenk's Pulmonic Syrup, R.V. Pierce Extract Of Smart-Weed, Ayer's Cherry Pectoral, a small green square pickle, Bixby French Blue, Dead Stuck For Bugs, Clark Stanley's Snake Oil Liniment, a slender amber cologne/toilet water bottle, a Newbros Herpicide-Kills The Dandruff Germ, Pompeiian Massage Cream, mini Cabot's Sulpho Nathol, Bell & Co. Chemists, yelloware ointment pot, Thomas' Electric Oil, Carter's aqua cone ink, White Diamond Polish, Humphry's Homeopathic Vetinary, Pierces Pharmacy Boston, Sawyers Crystal Blueing, Alpha Injection, Oakland Chemists, Dr. Miles Restorative Nervine, Skilton Foote Bunker Hill Pickle, olive green ale, Dr. Hubbard's Vegetable Disenfectant Deoderizer Germicide, Dr. Pierces Golden Medical Discovery, S.C. Boehm & Co. NY whiskey, a porcelain insulator, 2 Hyundai Janos, 2 Lea & Perrins, 2 Swamp Root Remedys, 2 Appendixine, 2 Liquozone, 3 local druggists, 4 Eno's Fruit Salt Derivative Compound, Freleighs Tonic, and a Registered Full Pint flask. Found the bottom of a cobalt oval embossed Norwich, so I'm hoping for some poisons next time.

I've managed to get back to the site and spend some quality time. In a few short hours I've taken a Warner's Safe Kidney and Liver Cure, a green Munyon's Inhaler Cure, 2 more Sample Bottle Foley's Kidney Cure, a Phenix Nerve Beverage, Seth Arnold's Balsam, Sloane's N & B Liniment, Foley's Honey and Tar, Carter's Extract Smart Weed, Buckingham Whisker Dye, a yellow 3-piece mold whiskey, Halford Leicestershire Sauce, Ely's Cream Balm, a blue Bromo, a blue oval med, another Carter's inkwell, 2 more Eno's Fruit Salt, Sulpho Nathol, Carbonal, Clark Stanley's Snake Oil, Dioxogen, Newbro's Kills the Dandruff Germ, Palmer perfume, Porteous Mitchell & Braun Portland, Perkins Portland, Kittredge Apothecary Rockland, early Heinz and Guldens bottles, Saxhellener Bitterquelle, L.F. Atwood, Peruna, Dr. Miles Restorative Tonic, and a couple of unusual jar lids which I'm posting to get some feedback on. Anyway, the diggings good even in the rain!

There's about 8 inches of black coal slag on top mixed with the 1920s era stuff. Beneath that there is white coal ash mixed with the 1880-90s trash layer, which is about 2-3 feet thick, down to a base of clay. Some bottles come out crisp and clean, some are slightly sick, some very sick. It depends on how close to the ash layer they were. The bottles are literally piled up next to each other. The 2 Radam's I got on Saturday were so close I had them both exposed at the same time, along with a common Curtice Bros ketchup. The amber Gilmore's Aromatic Wine I got is completely irredescent, but it kinda looks cool like that. The Radam's are slightly sick. Most of the aqua meds are very clean. I'm only into the first five feet of this slope, my trench is about 8 feet long so far.

E9BB6337A90444C3B6B5FEF017CCEB9F.jpg

Attachments

• E9BB6337A90444C3B6B5FEF017CCEB9F.jpg
    E9BB6337A90444C3B6B5FEF017CCEB9F.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 59

beendiggin

Reaction score
stacked on top of each other

B16687E53CA740D1ABB4A30E9A1EF98B.jpg

Attachments

• B16687E53CA740D1ABB4A30E9A1EF98B.jpg
    B16687E53CA740D1ABB4A30E9A1EF98B.jpg