Back to the Old dump

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

logueb

Reaction score
Thanks TD and Rocky. You would think that around a city that had a bottling plant there would be lots of discarded bottles. I dig tons of Waynesboro, Ga. bottles that is like 30 miles away. It just doesn't figure. All I find are busted.

willong

Reaction score
Hi Buster,

In response to what you were saying about learning something new (fairing) as a result of bottle digging. I probably mentioned this in an earlier post, but I get a kick, too, from interpreting some of my finds and visualizing who lived/worked at a site, and how they used some of the items found in their dumps. Things aren't very old out here in western Washington State--an old site would date in the 1880's. Early log skidding was done with teams of oxen or draft horses. By the 1890's most of the logging camps were already using steam "donkey" yarders. A logging camp dump that I dug near Granite Falls contained a considerable quantity of sawn ox bones. I've often wondered: Did they slaughter their yoke oxen after buying a steam donkey, or did they simply expediently feed an ox to the woods crew when it got injured or grew too old to pull its weight any longer? I also noted the small size (by today's standards) of the soles of discarded "cork boots" in the dump. Those guys were no strapping "Paul Bunyan." Rather, they were wiry Scandinavians and Tarheels who could endure a full day pulling a "misery whip."

Regards,

Will

madman

Reaction score
hey buster i was talking about the slug plate bottle(nu grape)

Bambam

Reaction score
I found one of these last night in a creek near my house. I read that the price booker plant burned in 1919, and no more bottles were manufactured. So it's at least that old.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown