Why Collect Repos?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
well, they're both attractive and affordable.
AND, I learned early in the Hobby that repos will burn a hole in you if you don't know what you're looking at, so I "learned my enemy."...[;)]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
The 1st repo I got burnt on was an aqua bust of Washington with ghost letters for Simon's Centennial Bitters...I bought it for $50 at Cumbows China & Antiques in Abingdon, VA. back in the 1970's.
I scurried home with it, proud of my acquisition...
Found out about 2 weeks later it was a Clevenger Bros repo [:'(]
Took it back to the shop and they refunded my money...so all I was really out was gas expenses and time...I gained a small amount of knowledge though.

The 2nd repo I got burnt on was a black amethyst Masons Patent Nov 30th 1858 midget jar with ground mouth and lid. Paid $45 for it, back in the 70's also...was stuck with it for about 5 years. Finally sold it at a $10 loss...Today it's worth more than I paid back then...[&:]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
have a niche in your collection that needs a certain bottle that is unaffordable for your budget?

If a repo has been made, it will "fit" quite nicely.
And repos have been made for almost every category of bottle/jar/flask....some are quite unappealing & cheap looking, but a lot of them are well made and colorful.

Example: The original Jackie Coogan-"The Kid" candy container is worth several hundred dollars, but the repos sell for under $20....if you can even find one of those now. Heck, they may even be more than $20...LOL.
Anyways, ya get my drift...

whiskeyman

Reaction score
These Ezra Brooks "adaptations" are affordable....

If10577.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp