Anyone here have some iridescent Benicia Mud Flats bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
It's always so humbling coming on here.. my clean bottles aren't clean enough, and my sick ones aren't sick enough...[&o]

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

It's always so humbling coming on here.. my clean bottles aren't clean enough, and my sick ones aren't sick enough...[&o]

Truer words, sir...

DSCN1472.jpg

salinas-ciscokid1951-10-02.jpg

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Hey Stephen,

Thanks for the compliments.
To answer your question, the dumpsite finds are from one of the outlying dumps south of Downtown SF. You can't really dig these by hand as the dump has been filled over 15'-20'.

What we did is go through the piles left by an excavator that was digging a deep pipeline that crossed through a midsection of the original dump. All the excavated piles had tons of rusted metal, bricks, and shoes within the normal range of San Franciscan soil such as silty sand with rocks. We didn't encounter much of what's known as Bay Mud....the smelly decomposed grey clay with shells. Every single bottle found had the irridescense (spelling?) that you like.

Let us know if find synthetic ways of recreating that process. I like this post you started!

Doug(Dabeel)

surfaceone

Reaction score
121BB4C7370D40C49372D7CFD9D12CF7.jpg

Hello Doug,

Your friend has quite a shelf of dazzlers there! Do you know if the device in the left foreground is a "duster," along the lines of this:
mummy-duster.gif
?

I was surprised to note that Benicia was the sixth Capitol of California.
planning_capitol_cartoon.gif

benicia.jpg
A partial view of the mudflats, from here.

I love opalescent glass. Thanks for putting up these beauties.

AAD-3352.jpg

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have dug on the Benicia flats on and off, mostly off, since the late 1960s. I have been there once in the last 5 yrs. At one point I had a lot of different bottles that we pulled from the mud behind the tannery. The tannin from that facility made the most beautiful iridescence I have ever seen. One of my old diggin' buds has quite an extensive collection of them that our club displayed at the 2006 Reno National.

surfaceone

Reaction score
One of my old diggin' buds has quite an extensive collection of them that our club displayed at the 2006 Reno National.

Hey Mike,

Now, there's a picture I'd love to see. Any chance yer bud, or one of the 49ers, could send you a photo to put up?

Item_748_1.jpg

KentOhio

Reaction score
Here's my best one:

92E50A2A1C714025BB111342C68BFAC1.jpg

Attachments

• 92E50A2A1C714025BB111342C68BFAC1.jpg
    92E50A2A1C714025BB111342C68BFAC1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 313

Lordbud

Reaction score
Hey there's one of these J.J. Macks on the left side of your friends shelf o' sickness. [8D] Sick glass with some Benicia effect...hard to capture just right with a digital camera.

56B5A836FF58426689CDE6EBCCF630D2.jpg

Attachments

• 56B5A836FF58426689CDE6EBCCF630D2.jpg
    56B5A836FF58426689CDE6EBCCF630D2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 333

Mr Kitty

Reaction score
Benica Mud Flats pickle bottle

i have been searching for images of the famed benicia, ca bottles online for a while but have had little luck. I have seen a few in books or at shows but that was years ago and it would be awesome to refresh the ole' memory if some of you are willing to post pictures of the iridescent bottles you own or have access to.

After reading ribottleguy's post on bottles that shouldn't be cleaned it reminded me of an exquisite lea & perrins sauce bottle that looked like the benicia mud flats material, that is, before my father accidentally broke it when i was about 11. It was the most beautiful bottle i have ever owned; absolutely saturated with the most complex interwoven spectrum of greens, purples, yellows, reds and blues i've had the pleasure of handling. It looked like a gem opal on crystal meth. I got it for a buck a short while before, and after it got knocked off my shelf i am pretty sure i shed a few silent tears. [:(] dad said he would replace it, but alas, a similar piece has eluded us. I still have the shards, actually, but lord knows where they are.

Anyway, post your iridescent bottles, or if there is a similar thread please link me. Myself and many others would probably appreciate it quite a bit!
This 11 inch Smith pickle was found at the Benica mud flats around 1960

Attachments

• T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 1.jpg
    T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 172
  • T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 2.jpg
    T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 183
  • T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 3.jpg
    T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 167
  • T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 4.jpg
    T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 4.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 172
  • T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 5.jpg
    T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 5.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 168
  • T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 6.jpg
    T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 6.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 175
  • T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 7.jpg
    T B SMITH & CO PHILADELPHIA LARGE PICKLE BOTTLE 7.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 171

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
This 11 inch Smith pickle was found at the Benica mud flats around 1960
Never see one those kinda different aren't they liquor or what they put in them look kinda religious liquor wow kinda wierd looking hard tell what they put in them of you didn't already know look churchy kinda to

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi