The Gloucester Glass Works Present day Clementon New Jersey.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The Gloucester glass works came into existence in the year 1804.
These works were the fourth in the state of New Jersey behind the
first Wistarburgh 1739,the first Stangers in Glassboro 1775 and
the second Stangers works in Port Elizabeth.The works were owned by Samuel Clement
of Haddonfield who has a town and a main road Clements bridge road named after him.
The works were apparently designed by Thomas Stanger from the original Stanger brothers
of Glassboro who had more influence than any other entity,person or business in the developement
of early glass works spread out over the entire early Eastern United States.Samuel chose his good
friend Jonathan Haines to run the Glass works.Haines would later have a hand in the early
important and very sucessfull glass works of Waterford, and Hammonton in Southern New jersey.

Richard Morcom of Wilmot Flat New Hampshire spent a great deal of time
in the 1960s digging old glass works sites remains in southern New Jersey.
One of the sites he spent a great amount of time at was the Gloucester
glass works in Present day Clementon New Jersey.Through Mr. Morcoms diligent hard work
and his passion for the hobby a great deal of knowledge was salvaged for future generations
of glass historians and collectors.

The glass works exact location were always a mystery.Richard got a break
in his detective work of locating the factory when a local historical buff John Fisher an
Electronics engineer by trade told him of how his children used to bring home
bright chunks of glass they reffered to as jewelry.The glass chunks were found on a hill
a few blocks away.This hill is on present day White Horse Ave.
This location is across the street from Clementon Park a family amusement park.
The park was founded by the Gibbs family in 1905.Part of the Parking lot of the current day park
were where the glass storage sheds were located in 1815.
These works had become quite extensive as they had 21 pot furnace's.
Mr. Fisher knew these chunks were glass house slag but was not awhere of any glass
factory being located in Clementon.He then was able to locate decendants of a glass blower
who had worked at the Batsto and Atco window light factories who was able to confirm the
exact location of the glass works on a hill near the intersection of White Horse Ave. and Berlin Road.
Mr fisher was an artist in his private life and drew the town based on conversations he had with the
glass blower.I will show you his drawing of the village later in this post.

The site excavated was 40 x 150 feet.This small area yeilded over 300 large shards of glass
and thousands of smaller ones.This proved beyond a doubt that this was the site of the Glass works.
Clay pots, moils ,furnace covers, ash ,lime,soda and other glass ingredients were also found
in a small portion of the hill.Furnace covers of the exact same type were recoverd from Fredrick Amelungs
glass works during archaelogical digs by the Corning musuem a few years later.

Because of his tireless work at the site he was able to tell exactly what were
the types of glass and bottles made at the factory.What surprised Richard
the most were the Pitkin type swirled half post method types of glass he found
in abundance along with moils of the same deep green colored glass in the year 1968.
Other colors found were light amber deep amber,aqua and clear.
He also found base remnants of Decanturs unscathed meaning they were a product
of the glass house and not cullet for the glass batch.

The presence of moils also indicates the glass was not merely cullet but a
product of the factory.This was big news in the bottle world as previous thought
was that Pitkins were a New England product only.Actually the Pitkin type flask
had it's beginnings in Europe in the low country of present day Germany.

It would only seem natural that the early Palintine glass workers in Southern New jersey
Pennsylvania,and New England would imitate the style of their lineal heritage.
I beleive that the Pitkin type half post method was introduced in all the colonial
glass works in the early mid and late 1700s.

This factory was also known for having many sleigh parties when people from far away
would get into a sleigh and visit the warm glass house's and purchase uncommon glassware.
Mr. Morcom found piece's of glass canes,sugar bowls,wine glass stems and other expensive
in the day glass items.Also found was flint glass in large amounts indicating the making of tablware.
This factory seemed to have made every type of conceivable glassware imaginable.

Richard Morcom had read that Dr. Dyott of Philadelphia had purchased the entire out puts
of the Olive Glass works in present day Glassboro the Union Glass works in Port Elizabeth
and the Gloucester works in Clementon. Dyott was offering all types of bottles for sale.
The works survived until the year 1822 when they were put op for sale.

The Gloucester works main products were bottles and lots of them.Tulingtons,Dalbys,
Godfreys,Essence Of Peppermint,Cologne,Capers,Mustards,vials,all of the popular bottles
of the day were made here.I beleive that through my own historical work the Dyott
Franklin Flasks long being attributed to the Kennsington glass works were actually a
product of either the Gloucester or Olive Glass works.The color of the glass,the lack of
embossing and the crudeness of the flask tell me these were some of the first historical flasks
made in this country I beleive as early as 1810.Dyott by purchasing the entire out puts of each
factory would have acess to the molds which he changed and added inscription to.Thus
the Franklin Dyott quart and pint flasks with the Latin slogans and the inscription of the
Kennsington glass works were added to the flasks not removed as there is no evidence of slug plates
on the plain GI-95 and GI-97 New Jersey versions. The Kennsington versions of the flasks which in their more
common color of sivery aqua are easily destinguisable once you have seen and held them in
person.

Most of the historical facts listed here in my own words,came from various sources such as original
newpapers from the day,the web site Oldsouthjerseyglass.com(hank Flowers)A book The glass Gaffers
of New jersey and their creations 1739 to the present by Adeline Pepper.The Gloucester county historical society,
and my own research of the site which I visted in person last year.There was no glass to be found but the view
from the hill told why it was a perfect spot to have a glass works.Plenty of timber,an abundance of
Jersey sand,the lakes surrounding the site for eay transportation to the Philadelphia market

I have here bottles that have come from early New Jersey collections that have solid attribution
to the Gloucester works.One of these is a Pitkin flask of a beautifull colored deep Jersey emerald green.
This bottle was passed down through the Clement family from whom the town was eventually named.
I purchased the bottle from a woman who was 95 years old in 2007.The bottle was her mothers
and before that her mothers father and before that her great and great great granfathers.
I really like this bottle as it means a lot to me knowing I have preserved a rather important
and historically significant piece of glass history in our early United States.
I will post more pictures of glass at a later date as I have aquired a rather bad cold or flu bug
and I am not feeling to sporty right now.The first picture is an aerial photo of Clementon New Jersey
centered at The Clementon Amusement water Park.Other notable area attractions are Al Capones summer home,
and the world famous Pine valley golf course the number 1 ranked golf course in the world.

150ADAF45B0849A2AD667A831093A54D.jpg

Attachments

• 150ADAF45B0849A2AD667A831093A54D.jpg
    150ADAF45B0849A2AD667A831093A54D.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 114

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Now for my Samuel Clement family Pitkin type flask it is a beauty.

AE010D588B4145E8926AFB5942D25320.jpg

Attachments

• AE010D588B4145E8926AFB5942D25320.jpg
    AE010D588B4145E8926AFB5942D25320.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 107

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Another picture showing the half post regathered of glass collar at the neck.Simply speaking
regathering adds a second coating of glass over the initial gather.It almost looks like half post blown
bottles are wearing tee shirts.
59FCA711D87740F0BB45689762AC04DB.jpg

Attachments

• 59FCA711D87740F0BB45689762AC04DB.jpg
    59FCA711D87740F0BB45689762AC04DB.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 106

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
The bottle with a snow bank back drop.

2D1A40D273834BF2B5FDFE8C750A4814.jpg

Attachments

• 2D1A40D273834BF2B5FDFE8C750A4814.jpg
    2D1A40D273834BF2B5FDFE8C750A4814.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 125

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Not a great picture but the pontil mark.

0338BE0760D34A3BBB7D0B7C325270D2.jpg

Attachments

• 0338BE0760D34A3BBB7D0B7C325270D2.jpg
    0338BE0760D34A3BBB7D0B7C325270D2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 101

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Here is the drawing done by John Fisher based on a fact gathering mission and some historical records from the
Gloucester county historical society.You need to take the present day aerial photo I showed earlier and point noth
to south as you can see Johns drawing has the north arrow at the bottom middle of his picture.
Basically my picture is upside down to his drawing.

88FBAEC7455C4DC6AF711D6306ECE145.jpg

Attachments

• 88FBAEC7455C4DC6AF711D6306ECE145.jpg
    88FBAEC7455C4DC6AF711D6306ECE145.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 121

earlyglass

Reaction score
Great information Steve, and I love that Pitkin. If you ever need to sell it, please keep me in mind.

Only one correction... it was Richmond Morcom.

I have quite a few Clementon shards, including a couple of pitkin pieces. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow.

Mike

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks Mike unfortunatley I cant edit my typo any more thanks for pointing it out though and look forward to your pictures.
I have a few more bottles I'll be posting tommorrow also as it looks like I will be snowed in again.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Steve,

You really have some great information here. It seems like there may be some opportunity to "investigate" where Mr. Morcom left off? I wonder if Clementon Lake holds any secrets??

Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado