Corning glass museum eyecandy....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: earlyglass

Here is what I mean... pretty little Lockport yellow green!

Mike

03E4CBA1DCF4443BA4A5DB2BC9E0EDCB.jpg

It certainly looks like Lockport glass!....(very nice flask),....It seems likely.... Joe

earlyglass

Reaction score
Joe,

There was an abundance of medicine bottles produced at Lockport and Lancaster, and I am sure some of the Buffalo bottles were some of them. Along with the close proximity, most of the early colored or aqua medicines that I saw on that page were 1840s and 50s, so that coincides perfectly with these glasshouses. As far as particular examples, case by case basis. Mark Yates and a few other guys could help in that area. Some of the earliest of the NY bottles (1820s,30s) would have been produced at the Mt. Vernon factory... such as the E.Horton (pictured in another post), Brinkerhoffs, some Moffats, Gibbs Bone Liniment, Spooners Hygian Tonic, Beekman's Pulmonic Syrup, etc. Most of these earlier bottles are found in deeper olives and amber, however, most of the later Lockport and Lancaster bottles are much brighter, lighter colors.

Mike

kungfufighter

Reaction score
In addition to the bitters and medicines and number of flasks were produced at Lockport and Lancaster, including the GI-47, 48, 60 and 61 as well as a number of the Cornucopia-Urn flasks. Just from the top of my head the Napoleon's Bitters, the John Root's Bitters, the William Allen's Congress Bitters, Lorimer's Juniper Tar Bitters, Loveridge's Wahoo and likely others (Johnson's Calisaya, Jacob Pinkerton's Romaine's Crimean, Jerom's National) are Lockport/Lancaster products. There's an early Glass Works catalog (the Roger Sweetland Collection) that pictures quite a few of the bottles made in the area.

And, as Mike noted, we have a strong suspicion that SOME of the Washington-Taylor flasks that are generically attributed to Dyottville were also made in Lockport/Lancaster.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Thank you Mike and Jeff!....Really interesting and pertinent (for our area) info,....Thanks for some very solid information from you guys, who's opinions and knowledge are first rate.
m6.gif
(I've always loved the look of the John Roots bitters.) The very first really cool local Lockport bottle that hooked me was a super clean "Oak Orchard Acid Springs" bottle....I have an old digging buddy that lives adjacent to Lockport and may have another pontil dump lined up for us come Springtime...His father was head of the Lockport historical society for years and hooked us up with some antique maps, old mill sites, etc... Joe

earlyglass

Reaction score
Joe,

I don't know if you have an interest... but I posted a REAL NICE GI-47 Quart Washington flask on my website. It looks like a lighter version of the typical Lockport green. There is a little yellow in there. Very pretty bottle! www.bottleshow.com

Mike

CazDigger

Reaction score
Hi Joe, I guess I should chip in my 2 cents. Being from Upstate NY (near Syracuse) I LOVE Lockport and other NY glass. In my opinion, the beauty of the NY glass kicks New Englands butt (sorry Mike & Jeff) Since I live closer to Vernon and can't afford to collect everything, I try to focus my attention there lately although it really limits my choices. For some reason, it seems to me that the Lockport and Lancaster bottles traveled west not east down the Erie canal, as I rarely dig them here. There has been a lot of research on the bottles from Lockport/Lancaster by bottle pioneers like Alan Spear, who actually dug the site back in the 70s. I don't know if you are a member of the Buffalo bottle club, but some members could help and there is a lot more info out there than what has been published. I have been trying to attribute medicines to Mt Vernon based on date of manufacture, color, form etc. and using www.fultonhistory.com They have scanned old NY newspapers going back to the early 1800s. There are tons of old ads and you can look up rare and obscure medicines, etc. to see where they were from. By the way, one of the bottles on Digger ODells Buffalo page is Parkers Pulmonary Balm. This is actually a Fayetteville, NY bottle almost surely blown at Mt Vernon. It predates Lockport and I found an ad on that website. You have to be careful not to use color only to try to attribute bottles to a particular glasshouse. I think that Coleman's Bitters is actually a Southern bottle, probably not blown at Lockport. By the way, yesterday I listed a bunch of Lockport bottles on eBay. It would be cool to get together sometime to dig or talk bottles. I work in Corning from time to time, or you could come to the Syracuse Bottle show March 28.
Mark Yates

RedGinger

Reaction score
Not sure where Syracuse is in relation to us. We're in SW NY. That would be a fun bottle show to go to if we can't get to the Baltimore one.

CazDigger

Reaction score
Our bottle show is just north of Syracuse in Brewerton here's a link to the new (not really informative) club website
http://esbca.weebly.com/ Syracuse is where rt81 meets the Thruway about 2hrs east of Rochester.

Mark

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Mike (and Mark),....Thanks for the kind offer on the flask, and all the interesting info....I just noticed these recent posts tonight....Mark, I'd love to get together and dig and/or talk bottles, and both your links are added to my favorites,.... Thanks,
m6.gif
....Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac