Digging Partners in Southeastern PA

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andes31

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and looking to get into bottle digging. I want to get into digging, I just don't know how to go about getting started. Most of my bottle collection has come from surface dumps at the edges of old farmfields that I find during my job (biologist), but I would like to start digging for older bottles. I do a lot of historical research on properties for my job, so I would be able to help with finding new spots to dig. It would be great to find someone who would let me help them out on digs in Southeastern PA (I live in Chester County). Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I live in York county, maybe we can hook up sometime.

anthracite312

Reaction score
Hi andes31. I'm over by the Barry bridge on the Jersey side. I'm pretty much a newby to and haven't really had much time to hook up with other diggers. Though I did meet ihtractor at an aucton one time and he seems like a good guy. Definetly knows his stuff. Anyway, I'm relatively new to this and would be interested in getting together for a dig sometime.

andes31

Reaction score
Oldihtractor and anthracite312. Thank for the responses. I actually work in Swedesboro, so it might be worth wild to get together for a dig. I found a lot of my collection in Gloucester and Atlantic Counties while I was working. Most of them have been in old farmers surface dumps. I have a lot of historical information on the areas surrounding Swedesboro which may lead to a good dig site. I have never scouted or done a dig before so any tips would be appreciated.

andes31

Reaction score
Colbaltbot, thanks for the response. York County is not a bad drive for me, so we should get together for a dig. I was just out in that area over the weekend at a few antique shops.

DIGS CHESCO

Reaction score
Hi andes31, I live in Northern Chester County (Eagle). I dug fenceline dumps as a kid and am now going to make time to search and dig privies. I'm looking forward to finding sites to dig as we get into spring. I'm currently scouting sites in central Chester County as well as Phila., and would like to partner up with someone who already has and interest and knowledge of old bottles. Look forward to getting together some time. Tom (digs chesco).

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Hi, Andes31. I'm kinda far from you, NE Ohio, but I too am a biologist and have found a lot of bottles in farm dumps during work. I do mainly wetland delineations. I find a lot of dumps but most in this area have been pretty well cleaned out. Still, I've found a few good ones. We also do a few Phase I ESAs and I have been lucky enough to get to clean out a couple of old farmhouses, free for the taking. Not many bottles in those, but have gotten some decent antiques.

andes31

Reaction score
Hi toddrandolph, There is nothing better than getting paid to look for bottles. I do mostly wetland delineation and threatened and endangered speices survey (plants and wildlife). So I am usually scouring the farmers dumps looking for snake dens or other habitats I don't do any of our companies Phase I ESAs, so I don't go into too many houses. I am usually there after the houses are torn down.

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Ah, yes,nothing like getting paid to look for bottles! We work for a lot of developers, who are as you probably know, rather difficult to work for. So, usually my requests to get into the old houses are turned down unless I'm doing a Phase 1. Looks like I will be spending more time than I would like this coming year digging soil pits with the new wetland delineation manuals that are out now, which means less time for bottle digging.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown