Penslar emerald green, Id help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Scottcenfla

Reaction score
New member here, Scott from Sanford, Florida. Hello everyone!

My brother dug this bottle this last weekend and I can't find didly on info on it. It is a beautiful emerald green, possibly a hair tonic. The seam stops at the base of the neck. It is 5 3/4" tall.

On the bottom is a 6 petal flower type embossing with NO on the left, 74 to the right and what looks lika a C and a 2 under that all embossed on the bottom.

All I could find on the internet was a reference to a Penslar Company possibly from the Detroit area.

Any help with an ID and possible value would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Scott

Nl31084.jpg

Attachments

• Nl31084.jpg
    Nl31084.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 107

woody

Reaction score
I found a colbalt one on this link.

http://www.blountweb.com/mustardseed/bottles/cobalt_blue_penslar_bottle.htm

I did find mention that it was a hair tonic and that it came in an amber color, also.

jdye

Reaction score
How did you know to use this <before 1900> forum?

I can't seem to figure the date of my bottle accurately enough to chose the correct forum and I am a newbie also. I tried to use the web, came up with a possible date 1841 to 1900 and was told I was probably wrong. I had conceeded in Post #1 than 1901 was possible and I wasn't closed to suggestions it was a modern fake.

All messages since then don't even get posted.[:(] All I can figure out was it was the combination of wrong forum and no picture that canceled me out. Maybe this response will sneak in by a back door. I am so frustrated.[:mad:] You know that old expression "No body likes me, every hates me, guess I'll go eat worms!" Well as I dig both bottles and fossils I find enough of those to get a good start. Is there a forum for this too?[;)]
Jayne

Pontiled

Reaction score
We dug several of these in an old town dump in upstate New York. All were clear. A little research back then revealed that the bottle contained a hair product. The magazines that had ads for it were right around 1900, so I guess that dates it. Cobalt-blue and amber? That's fantastic!

Scottcenfla

Reaction score
Hi Jayne, I've been digging relics for quite some time and most of that has been metaldetecting over the years. I found alot of bottles digging metal targets over that timespan but never bothered to probe around to see if there was a bottle or trash pit at any of the sites I had hunted. Over the last months I have revisited some of these sites, probed around, and have been lucky enough to find bottles at all of them so far.

Compared to many in the bottle community here and on other forums, I know absolutely squat about bottles. But I have learned some about the manufacturing technology and the associated years relating to that by reading alot on the internet. There is a wealth of information out there about what to look for to help age a bottle, ie. 2 piece mold, 3 piece mold, hinge mold, lip design, the list goes on.

I think the date of 1900 is a very difficult date to choose whether the bottle was made before or after that date. When the automatic bottle machine (ABM) was first invented, I'm sure not every bottle manufacturer went to that technology right away or afforded the machine and related equipment.

An example, this last weekend a buddy of mine dug a 3 piece mold amber whiskey, flat base with H72 on the bottom. The shape and construction of this bottle can't be older than 1895 or so unless I am mistaken. But, the 3 piece mold technology in bottle manufacturing dates well back into the 1800's. It gets confusing and I'm no expert.

Scottcenfla

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Woody and Pontiled. Question for you Pontiled, were the clear Penslars you dug the same shape as this emerald green one or straightsided as Woody's link to the cobolt shows? Thanks in advance, Scott.

Scottcenfla

Reaction score
Keith! How are ya buddy? Thanks for the welcome my friend. I'm just following you around on the net aren't I?

IRISH

Reaction score
Hey jdye and all, don't worry too much about putting your bottles in the wrong forum (1910 bottle in the pre1900 etc.) if you can't work out the age of it, that's what the forum's here for [:D] . I'm sure a lot of the collectors on here that have been collecting for years still stuff up dates sometimes (I know I do [;)] ).
Welcome to the forum those of you who haven't already been welcomed [:D] .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jshoff