nuked acl bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bubbas dad

Reaction score
i have 2 questions for the fine folks here. the first is, all the nuked bottles i've seen have been purple except for coke bottles so my question, is it possible to nuke a bottle a medium shade of brown or darker? my second question, is it possible to nuke an acl label without altering it in anyway? i've come accross someone who has alot of bottles i consider questionable in color. trying to get all the info before i make a decision on one. thanks, john

acls

Reaction score
ACL bottles are getting nuked more and more frequently. If you see a brown acl Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper etc. It is almost certainly nuked. It doesn't seem to effect the ACL in anyway, just the glass.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I didn't know that nuking changed the color to anything but purple. Good to know info. Is it only ACLs that change to amber, or are there other types of glass that will turn amber?

Jim G

acls

Reaction score
Old hobbleskirt cokes will turn brown. So will old Mason's jars. I believe some of the old insulators do too. It has to do with the chemicals in the glass. If the glass contains a lot of selenium then nuking will turn it brown. If the old glass contains a lot of manganese then nuking it turns it purple.

probe buster

Reaction score
You might want to go to this link to get an eye opener. Be sure to click on the photo links at the bottom. Same applies to bottles as insulators...or any glass for that matter.

http://www.nia.org/altered/index.htm

LC

Reaction score
In the middle seventies or early eighties a friend of mine came across an amber 12 ounce Pepsi . I had never seen one before . I can not remember if it had the red and white label as the one in the auction or if it was embossed . Was there actually an amber Pepsi that came from one of the Pepsi plants in that time period ?

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: L C

In the middle seventies or early eighties a friend of mine came across an amber 12 ounce Pepsi . I had never seen one before . I can not remember if it had the red and white label as the one in the auction or if it was embossed . Was there actually an amber Pepsi that came from one of the Pepsi plants in that time period ?

Hello Louis,

You might visit Reggie Lynch's site to see a couple, but why go all that way...
FayettevilleAmberPepsi.jpg
"FAYETTEVILLE NC amber Pepsi, FA2 in Ayer's Pepsi book."
TarboroPepsi2.jpg
TarboroPepsi.jpg
"TARBORO NC amber Pepsi, TAR4 in Ayer's Pepsi book." From Reggie's Pepsi Hall-o-fame.

He also has a bit of history on the Amber Pepsis: "Pepsi started in New Bern, NC in 1898 as Brad's Drink, but changed its name to "Pepsi-Cola" in 1903. A few early Pepsi bottles (before 1907) were made of amber glass, but be careful of the 75th anniversary reproduction bottle from New Bern, NC which is amber and came with a paper label and whittled neck. Here's a photo of this repro. Best way to tell it's a repro is that an unused crown top will not fit since the diameter of the repro neck is a little larger than the original (some/all of these repros are marked with "A204" on the base). Another way to distinguish the amber Pepsi repro is that they are light enough to read a newspaper through - the originals are too dark to read through.

Be careful of Pepsi bottles with a deep purple color. Purple is not a natural color and is caused by irradiating clear bottles. However, these purple bottles do make a nice color addition to your collection. There are some naturally occuring bottles with a light amethyst/purple tint - leaving them out in prolonged sunlight will darken the tint (but they will never become a deep purple).

The words "Pepsi" and "Cola" were separated by two dashes (called double dot) until 1951 when the modern logo with a single dash was introduced." Here's the 75th Anniversary Repro:
NewBern75th.jpg

Fleabay, to their credit, has a page on Fakes, over here.

1942_mar_truedectective_asta.jpg

LC

Reaction score
My bad surfaceone , should have been more clearer as to what I was trying to get across. I am aware there is an early amber Pepsi , I have one . What my friend has is an amber Pepsi from the fifties or sixties . If I remember right it had the embossed label and not the red and white acl label . I would go and get a pic of it , but I am unable to do so . I visited him yesterday for most likely the last time as he is on his death bed dieing from cancer . I do not know what will become of his bottles . He and I did a lot of digging together back years ago . He is a good friend and I will truly miss him .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky