Carter's Master Ink's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

#1twin

Reaction score
I hit a shallow pit full of these nice gems a couple weeks ago. There were 8 ea in the hole about 9" deep. Three were badly damaged but I saved 5 of them.......Whoops....just broke one to pieces that had the top glued back on[:mad:] It looked good until I held it by the top. So much for Super Glue LOL My best Master ink finds yet[:D][:D] They have Enterprize Pottery Co. Newark NJ CARTER'S INK'S stamped into them. At least I think it has Newark on it?? About what age are they and what do they go for in value? Thanks for looking and any replie's. Marvin

B8DABC7BB92443F28AA98898B80980FF.jpg

Attachments

• B8DABC7BB92443F28AA98898B80980FF.jpg
    B8DABC7BB92443F28AA98898B80980FF.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 58

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Marvin,

What a wonderful excavation you had! I've yet to dig one of those guys. Might it have been manufactured by Enterprise Pottery Co. of Trenton?

image146.jpg
"THE ENTERPRISE POTTERY CO., TRENTON, N. J.

The Enterprise Pottery was started previous to 1880, for the manufacture of sanitary ware. The mark in use from the beginning until 1892 was the name of the company (see also The Trenton Potteries Co.). Gen. Oliphant, who with three of his sons afterwards operated the Delaware Pottery, was connected with the Enterprise Pottery previous to 1884." From.

ThinkFastMrMotoPoster.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey, again, Marvin,

I forgot to say, that looks like one Bottlicious room you've got there. Can'ya give us any more peaks in there? Also, check out this story from the January 25, 1891 NY Times. on labor problems in Trenton. The Times style has not changed much over the years. Perhaps, a bit less strident in more recent times...

peter_lorre983.jpg

#1twin

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. After further investigation it appears to say ENTERPRISE POTTERY CO. NEW BRIG????? PA. I am positive about the NEW BR something and the PA. From the information you provided, I will assume they are late 1800's anyway.
I have shown a lot of my bottle room before, so as not to bore the forum, just tell me what type bottles you would like to see. Thanks again for the info. Marvin

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Marvin, and you too, Joe,

Joe filled in the blanks nicely, and pointed us to the correct Enterprise Pottery. There's a very nice profile of the work of Marion Shively @ this place, that contains this delicious bit:

"Marion Shiveley was born in Bridgewater, Pennsylvania, in 1878, the son of George W. and
Lida Arbuckle Shiveley. His father was a brickmaker, and Marion began working as a “wedgerâ€
at the Fallston Pottery near Beaver, Pennsylvania at the age of twelve or so. Two years later, he
began turning ink bottles at the Enterprise Pottery in nearby New Brighton. He recalled that he
worked four full weeks before producing an acceptable bottle; ultimately he made as many as
450 a day at a penny a piece, although he had to pay his wedger 50 cents from his own pocket."

ChuckBerry+9poundhammer+blogspot+com.jpg

Marvin, if you're feelin like further Show & Tell, I'd like to see any of your common bottles, in uncommon colors...

PS: I also found this googlebooks page, that may, or may not, have some information on Enterprise. Sorry, I'm flying blind on googly airlines.

J H Withrow

Reaction score
Looking at that bottle room, I'm sure glad you don't live in earthquake country!!!!!

#1twin

Reaction score
Thanks Joe for the clarification on the Pottery Co. and thanks again for the info surfaceone.
Thank you all for the replies.
I guess that horseshoe is why I have not killed a Turkey yet, got a ticket for no hunting license (long story) $217, got a ticket for not having a life preserver on my little girl $147, broke a nice cobalt screwtop jar that read NOXEMA SHAVE, broke the Master Ink glued back together, broke up with my digging partner girlfriend, problems with the IRS, I guess I will top here so I can go turn that dude over LOL[:D][:D][:D][:D] Happy digging to all. Hope to see some folks from the forum at the Daphne Ala. Show, April 10th. Marvin

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94