Maps

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Andy4707

Reaction score
Would anybody know were to find maps from 1880-1910 that would show the big dumps of the town. If you could tell me the website that would be really helpful to me. I live in Eden WI. I would like to see a map from 1880-1910 of Eden or Fond du lac.

wvbottlehead

Reaction score
one place you could try is the local historical society, sometimes they have old area maps, if the maps don't show the dumps, the "oldtimers" there might be able to tell you something..

digdug

Reaction score
Check to see if there is a Local Historical Society. They always have a wealth of info. Maps, City directories, etc. I found several sites to dig by looking for the local pharmacy addresses from the Business directory from the 1880's. The address led me to an empty lot, was able to dig, and found several nice pieces at the back of the property. Also, old maps they had showed where all the shops, businesses were located.

Andy4707

Reaction score
ok, i was looking around at some websites and i found one from 1862, but i don't understand it. Here is the website. Try it and let me know if you see anything. (You probably won't understand it because you aren't familiar with the town)

http://www.rootsweb.com/~wifonddu/resources/maps/1862/62eden.gif

digdug

Reaction score
It looks similar to a map I have of a small town. Mine was in color and showed businesses too. The map on the website you have listed looks like it has the Property owner name and the number with the name looks as if it has something to do with the size of the lot. The numbers (like 6 on the upper left side) is the Land Lot number. The Land Lot numbers go down from 6, 5, 4, etc. on this map. And it shows roads/streets on it. You could try to overlay the map from the website with a current map and see if any roads match up. That would give you an idea where lots were from the 1860's and where to dig. The Land Lot numbers may match up to the current Land Lot numbers. But, the numbers may not match up. From the 1860's to now, there is a good chance the Land Lots may have changed at some point in time.

Andy4707

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a map of Eden WI that i could overlay with the map of 1862, but i can't find anything.
Thanks for the info digdug

Tony14

Reaction score
Try http://www.terraserver.com/imagery/image_gx.asp?cpx=-88.36049075945536&cpy=43.6932377656085&res=8&provider_id=320&t=pan. It may not be the best, but it might work.

Tony14

Reaction score
Hey andy I found this map from 1893. It shows the other side of the railroad, but is more detailed. http://www.rootsweb.com/~wifonddu/resources/maps/1893/eden.gif
You find a current map yet?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac