EMBOSSED BOTTLE MOLDS (Coca Cola, etc.)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's a line-up chronology of various Coke bottles. And even though I can't see the back side of the 1961 example as to whether or not it has the block lettering "Coke," it is likely/possible this is the same or similar bottle made from the mold in question. These NDNR bottles were usually clear glass. But don't discount them just yet. Some of the rarer variations are demanding high prices these days.

SPB

548700984B57484CB2A6083CE78E9340.jpg

Attachments

• 548700984B57484CB2A6083CE78E9340.jpg
    548700984B57484CB2A6083CE78E9340.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 169

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Back Again!! While eating lunch I got a thought about the picture of the Coca Cols Mold in question. The conclusion is that I think it is a mold for making a plastic bottle.
Not much else and a sad thought after all the Melemine Poisoning from plastic bottles that were ground up and put in pet food a few years ago, and most recently in cow food that showed the chemical up in babies milk and has caused a lot of kidney and gall-bladder stones in Chinese babies. Or the same powder filler put in chicken food, that has poisoned a lot of people from the poison in egg yokes. Red Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Back again on this same Mold subject. I read it over and noticed the red squiggle line under the word Melamine because I spelled it wrong. In the dictionary this is a white, crystalline cyclic compound;C3 H6 N6 containing three cyanamide molecules in its structure, used in making synthetic resins.

Sorry I couldn't get off the subscript lettering after creating the compound letter formula.

I don't think I will ever figure out how to do everything on a computer. I guess I am just too dumb. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello wonkapete; I am back again on this post. It has been confirmed by two experts. This special mold is in face for making plastic Coke Bottles. I have two pictures of some other plastic molds and got the confirmation that the mold you have is made of Aluminum. The face vents on the center line mold face are milled at .0005" depths.

I would appreciate some more pictures of the ends and the back of the molds. I am putting together a blog on plastic bottle application and the health hazard of the things we consume out of plastic containers.

It has proven to be a genuine night-mare to me. The problem was exasperated by the ground up plastic containers that have been ground up to a powder and used for fillers in dog and cat food a few years ago. Now there is information of babies with kidney and gall stones from milk from cows that have been feed this melamine filler in their food. There has been problems also with melamine in the egg yokes from this filler in the chicken food. Someone has to ring the bell at the Food and Drug Administration. I realize that they have taken plastic bottled baby water off the market - this must mean it is OK to kill older people with it - and now Coca-Cola? RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
2. Please tell us briefly about the mold "numbers" that appear on these and so many other soda bottles. What is that all about?

SODAPOPBOB, I just went back to review this thread and wrote a post like this to answer your question in some way. Something made me realize that the post got erased instead of being sent. I couldn't see where it had been posted.

Anyway there are job numbers for a specific bottle product. This number becomes almost a word to what your are discussing or working on. For example 2772 was a beer bottle that we made for years and when someone asked you about that bottle with a number reference, you knew what they were talking about.

The mold numbers are usually 1 to 90 or 99. This number appeared on the top of each mold half and on the bottom of the bottom plate for that mold assembly. The quantities changed to larger orders after I left the mold shop - and I don't really know how they handled the larger numbering. Usable mold life was applied to the production records and reordered mold sets were made when the felt they needed them.

If you have more questions, feel free to lay them on me. RED Matthews

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Thanks Red ~

I believe I have a fairly good understanding of the basics now. But if I think of anything else I will either post it here or via a personal e-mail link.

Thanks again ... I bet you are only one in a million who knows so much about bottle molds.

Bob

hemihampton

Reaction score
SodapopBob has not been in here to much lately. Something to do with Computer Malfunction I think. It may be awhile before he can respond to this. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado