TRUMPET-MOUTH STONEWARE BOTTLES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
These stoneware bottles are some of the first bottles I put on my shelf. I am still not certain where they are from or what they were used for. I have always thought (with no proof) that these were British-made bottles.

There is no debossing at all. I noticed when photographing them a few minutes ago that the taller one is coated on the inside with lampblack or black soot. That suggests leather dressing, harness or shoe. The smaller of the two has that bronze color glaze common to Denby Pottery.

Can anyone here tell me something about these trumpet-mouth bottles?

-----------Harry Pristis

Xv63295.jpg

Attachments

• Xv63295.jpg
    Xv63295.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 86

tuppence

Reaction score
Have dug dozens of a variety of sizes. The ones where some of the content was still present, it tended to be a semi liquid waxy substance of a yellowish brown colour. So some sort of polish as you had already suggested.
Just dug some out of a box, and the makers stamps were in my case Doulton, Lambeth and Smith-London
Mike

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you, Mike! I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

And thank you, Irish, for your info!

----------Harry Pristis

IRISH

Reaction score
They where a bit of a general use bottle. We call them stove blacks here as a few of them had that in them, they also where used for other polishes and probably every thing else that would fit into them [:D] .
The one's I have with potters stamps on them are the same as tuppence's ones and a few others from the UK that I can't remember the names of [&:] .

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Harry ---
I saw one of these pictured (don't quote me on this title and author) on page 8, Miller's - Bottles and Pot Lids. I think it was in a group of three bottles and this was one of them. I didn't take the time to read it. I was just breeezing through it at an antique mall this weekend. I don't think it had any info on this piece, but I did see a picture like your bottles. I do remember it was a small book and paperback.

tuppence

Reaction score
Flaschenjagers comment made me think that I've also seen a picture somewhere.
And here it is. The comment in case it is not legible says:
Hand made earthen and salt glazed containers. Various sizes 4" to 8"high. Used for dyes and black paste. Period 1850-1930s. Value 50p to one pound fifty. (book is 1977 !)
Mike

Wt59370.jpg

Attachments

• Wt59370.jpg
    Wt59370.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 80

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. Thanks for the pix, Mike. I think you've nailed this one. You guys are so smart! :^)

-----Harry Pristis

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora