EARLIEST ACL SODA BOTTLE(S) ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Nedick's Trademark

First Use Anywhere = 1936

https://trademarks.justia.com/713/82/nedick-71382670.html

[ Image cropped from catalog ]

Owens Illinois 1933 Beverage Glasses ACLs (4).jpg

[ Image from Trademark link ]

Nedick's Trademark Image (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

This one is especially for you! I don't know the dates for these items but thought they were of interest for future reference, especially the embossed 2-Way bottle ...

2 Way  Bottle.jpg

2 Way Glass.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Hey yes I noticed the 2 Way bottle yesterday!...from Dr. Pepper Dallas Texas. And there is the glass...nice to see to confirm my assumptions.
I can't see that catalog being from 1934, 35... and now that you show the Nedick's trade mark first use as 1936, I think that may be pushing it a bit?.....I would assume that what is shown in the catalog was already in production?

I'm still stuck on the 2 WAY slogans in helping to determine the year of that catalog, and I believe that design of the 2 is a second generation thing...given that the skinny 2 with the flat end was used on the paper label.
It's too bad the updated was done without consideration of the 2way and Nedick's info.....just my two ¢

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

I sent the Nedick's information to Bill Lindsey this morning - but it was after I realized he had amended the date. I haven't heard back from him and not sure I will. We'll have to watch his webpage and see if he changes anything. As it stands now, I'm leaning toward ...

1936 at the earliest

Nedick's Glass.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
1932 ACL ?

Important Note:

Because of the 1936 Nedick's Trademark I still stand by my previous statement about the Owens-Illinois catalog being "1936 at the earliest."

However ...

That doesn't necessarily mean the Libbey Glass Company wasn't producing ACL Tumblers prior to when the Owens-Illinois Glass Company started producing them. The main reason I say this is because the term "Safedge" was trademarked by the Libbey Glass Company with a first use ever date of 1924. During the course of my research I came across that date numerous times, so I decided to take a closer look at what Libbey Glass was up to prior to 1933. I soon discovered the following advertisement, and many, many more just like it ...

The Oakland Tribune ~ Oakland, California ~ August 11, 1932

Notice the use of the word "decorated" in relation to the colors I underlined. I acknowledge the term ACL / Applied Color Label is not used in the ad, and yet I have to wonder what type of process they used to decorate the tumblers with various colors if it wasn't some type of annealed finish? Also notice just below the decorated tumbler part of the ad where it uses the term "etched." When I searched for "Safedge" tumbler ads earlier than 1932, every one I have found so far used the term "etched" and not decorated / color. Does this mean Libbey Glass started using a form of ACL application in 1932? I'm not sure yet but plan to keep searching and see what I can find.

Here's a link for the Libbey Glass Company "Safedge" Trademark - First use anywhere = 1924

http://www.trademarkia.com/safedge-71539840.html

Notice the decorations on the tumblers

Safedge Tumblers Oakland Tribune August 11, 1932.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
First of all, I want to emphasize that I fully realize an ACL Tumbler is not an ACL Soda Bottle and that the earliest confirmed ACL Soda Bottle is still the 1934 Jumbo Cola that was discussed and pictured earlier in this thread. However, I'm still personally interested in the earliest use of the ACL process whether it be on a glass or a bottle or any other type of glassware. Speaking of which, its quite possible that Milk Bottles were the earliest ACLs of them all. I've definitely seen references for ACL Milk Bottles as early as 1934, but I will wait until I'm done with the Tumbler examples before taking a closer look at the Milk Bottles. Who knows, along the way I just might accidentally stumble on to a 1933 ACL soda bottle, which is something I have been looking for for years.

Back to the Tumblers ...

Note: I did a reasonably through search and could not find a "color decorated" Safedge tumbler earlier than 1932. Everything I saw between about 1924 and 1931 were either clear glass, tinted color glass, etched, or adorned with a form of gold-leaf. But nothing that would fall under the description of color decorated.

In my last post we saw a 1932 Safedge tumbler that came in red, green, or orange, with white. Now let's take a look at a couple of ads from 1933 and 1935. We've already seen an ad from 1936 which included the Mickey Mouse tumble.

This tumbler is cropped from the Owens-Illinois catalog and can be found on the same page as the Donald Duck tumbler. The page clearly uses the term "ACL" and refers to this particular tumbler as "banded"

Notice the stripes or "banding"

Safedge Striped Color.jpg

Now notice the tumblers in the following two ads ...

Also notice the word "Safedge" ... plus the reference to "colors" ... plus the use of the words "bands" and "strippings"

The Cincinnati Enquirer ~ Ohio ~ July 13, 1933

Safedge Tumblers Cincinnati Enquirer July 13, 1933.jpg

The Philadelphia Inquirer ~ Pennsylvania ~ February 24, 1935

Safedge Tumblers Phila Inquirer Feb 24, 1935.jpgFootnote:

Although inclusive at this juncture, I'm leaning toward the possibility that the ACL process was used by Libbey Glass as early as 1932

(To be continued)

SODABOB

Reaction score
WOW! Look what I just found ...

Libbey Glass / Owens-Illinois / Tumbler and Glass Catalog

And its in color!

Scroll to the "Beverage Glasses" page and you'll see its identical to the page where the 2-Way and Nedick's tumblers are pictured in the other catalog. It even has the same identical wording. Hmm, I better send this link to Bill Lindsey and see what he thinks.

Check it out ...

Notice:

1. The October 18, 1937 price list at the end of the catalog

2. The punch-holes on the left side of every page - Suggesting the catalog could be older than the removable 1937 price list

http://www.libbeyhistory.com/files/1937-Premium.pdf

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Bill Lindsey's amended date included this ...

[Copy/Pasted]

*Authors Note: According to Toulouse (1971) "Owens-Illinois became the sales agent for Libbey in the 1930s, and in 1935 absorbed the company into its own organization." This implies that O-I was selling Libbey products prior to being "absorbed" into O-I sometime in 1935.

Given this, the company (O-I) could have been selling ACL glassware (and bottle) products as early as 1933 and certainly by 1934 when ACL products were being produced...and when Donald Duck was introduced to the public in June of that year. This information, in hand with the Prohibition related information described earlier, points to the catalog most likely being published sometime in 1935.

But what I'm wondering is, would Libbey Glass use the name Owens-Illinois in the catalog I just posted a link to if Libbey had not already been acquired by Owens-Illinois? In other words, I'm thinking the use of both names in the catalog suggest the acquisition had already taken place - which was in 1935. Hence, I'm thinking the catalog dates to no earlier than 1935 and no later than 1937 - With 1937 possibly being when it was actually published because of the price list.

Okay, fine. But if I'm right about the 1937 publication date, does that mean that the identical "Beverage Glasses" page was used in the so called 1935 catalog as well? Or is it possible that both catalogs were published in 1937?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora