EARLIEST ACL SODA BOTTLE(S) ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

I had a particular reason for wording my last post the way I did - That reason was to anticipate the possibility that someone might be thinking along those lines. With that said, I find it highly unlikely that either of the catalogs was first published in 1937 because of this ...

1936 advertisement for the Libbey Safedge Disney tumblers

In other words, if both catalogs were first published in 1937, then how would it be possible for a first issue publication to include an item that was advertised in 1936?

In other-other words, I think Bill Lindsey nailed it when he said ...

"
This information, in hand with the Prohibition related information described earlier, points to the catalog most likely being published sometime in 1935."

The Altoona Tribune ~ Altoona, Pennsylvania ~ December 21, 1936

Donald Duck Tumbler Altoona Tribune, Pa Dec 21, 1936.jpg

Donald Duck Tumbler Altoona Tribune, Pa Dec 21, 1936 (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
In other-other-other words, I think its highly possible that both catalogs were published in ...

​1935

SODABOB

Reaction score
All things considered, member Morbious_fod's Jumbo Cola still stands as the earliest confirmed ACL Soda Bottle ...

Jumbo Cola 1934.jpg

Jumbo Cola 1934 Base.jpg

[ Part of a newspaper article ~ Kingsport Times News ~ Kingsport, Tennessee ~ September 20, 1934 ]

Jumbo Cola Article 1934.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
But I'm still holding out for the possibility of an ACL Soda Bottle that was made in ...

1933 ?

SODABOB

Reaction score
For future reference regarding various terms used to describe the Applied Color Label (ACL) process ...

Beginning in 1933 a form of silk screening was introduced to put colored labels on milk bottles. The colored label was actually fused to the glass. This was cheaper and faster than using the molds needed for embossed milk bottles. It also made the labels much more prominent against the white background of the milk. This process was called pyroglazing (pyro for short) or Applied Color Labeling. Pyroglaze was the term used by the Thatcher Manufacturing Company of Elmira, New York. Owens-Illinois Glass Company of Toledo, Ohio used the term Applied Color Labeling or ACL for the same process. The Universal Glass Products Company of Parkersburg, West Virginia called the process Fire-Fused Color Lettering or Hi-Fired Color Lettering. Liberty Glass Company of Sapulpa, Oklahoma used the term Lustro-Color for their bottles with colored lettering.

An industry press release in May of 1933 indicated that Owens-Illinois Glass Company had developed this process at its plant in Huntington, West Virginia. Soon after, by July of 1933, they started promoting milk bottles with fused names and trademarks in color (they did not use the term ACL at that time) in their own advertisements. In August of 1932 they used the term "Applied Color" Bottles in their advertisements to refer to display milk bottles that had color fused to the inside of the glass bottle. Display milk bottles were internally colored white to simulate milk and a yellow color to indicate the cream. This was done inside the bottle and used by milk dealers in their promotional displays. One unintended use of these display milk bottles was as a way to hide liquor. Prohibition was still in place in 1932 and these painted milk bottles did a good job of concealing their contents, especially if it was not milk. We are not sure if coloring the insides of the bottle was the same technology as applying colored labels to the outside of the bottle but Owens-Illinois claimed that the colors were fused to the glass by intense heat. They said the color was an integral part of the glass and permanent and indestructible except through breakage. The first advertisement we have seen from the Thatcher Manufacturing Company for pyroglazing was in March of 1934. They used the term pyroglaze in that advertisement.

SODABOB

Reaction score
In Search of ...

1934 or Earlier Painted Label Milk Bottles

( Pyroglaze was the term used by the Thatcher Manufacturing Company of Elmira, New York )

The Pentagraph ~ Bloomington, Illinois ~ May 12, 1934

The_Pantagraph_Sat__May_12__1934_.jpg

I don't know when this particular Leman's milk bottle was made, nor who made it, nor if the number 3 on the base is a date code, but because of the 1934 newspaper article, its highly likely that 1934 Leman's pyroglaze milk bottles exist.

Leman's Milk Bottle Front.jpg

Leman's Milk Bottle Back.jpg

Leman's Milk Bottle Base.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Based on some additional research I did, including Trademark dates, Newspaper dates, Etc; I am revising my earlier observations regarding the publication dates for the two catalogs in question; namely the Owens-Illinois catalog and the Libbey Glass catalog. I no longer believe that either of those catalogs was published in 1935. Even though I won't be including the numerous pieces of evidence I recently came across that influenced this change of opinion, suffice it to say that I am now of the opinion that both catalogs were published in ...

​1936

P.S. ~ P.S.

I had a particular reason for wording my last post the way I did - That reason was to anticipate the possibility that someone might be thinking along those lines. With that said, I find it highly unlikely that either of the catalogs was first published in 1937 because of this ...

1936 advertisement for the Libbey Safedge Disney tumblers

In other words, if both catalogs were first published in 1937, then how would it be possible for a first issue publication to include an item that was advertised in 1936?

In other-other words, I think Bill Lindsey nailed it when he said ...

"
This information, in hand with the Prohibition related information described earlier, points to the catalog most likely being published sometime in 1935."

The Altoona Tribune ~ Altoona, Pennsylvania ~ December 21, 1936

View attachment 177669

View attachment 177670

SODABOB

Reaction score
Update ...

I sent Bill Lindsey the link to the Libbey catalog and he is going to add it to his website. He said even though it isn't directly related to bottles, which is what the site focuses on, its close enough for general interest. He didn't say what year he thinks it was published, but I suspect he's going to place it in the same range as the other catalog of 1935-1936.

Here are both catalog links together for future reference ...

Owens-Illinois Bottles Catalog / 1933* 1935/1936 ?

https://sha.org/bottle/oi1933.htm

Note: Bill said its too complicated to eliminate the 1933* from the title, so he is going to leave it that way even though he is confident it was published in either 1935 or 1936

Libbey / Owens-Illinois Glassware Catalog / 1936 ?

http://www.libbeyhistory.com/files/1937-Premium.pdf

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Bill Lindsey changed his amended footnote from this ...

"This information, in hand with the Prohibition related information described earlier, points to the catalog most likely being published sometime in 1935."

To this ...

"This information, in hand with the Prohibition related information described earlier, points to the catalog most likely being published sometime in 1935 and possibly 1936. Thanks Bob!"

Canadacan

Reaction score
And yet it could be 1937, the price list was from Oct. 1937 right?, does that mean the catalog was possibly used for most of 1938 as well? Not that it really matters anyways.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi