EARLIEST ACL SODA BOTTLE(S) ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Via the "Bottle Research Group" I sent Bill Lindsey an email regarding all of this. I will let you know what he has to say if/when I hear from him.

SODABOB

Reaction score
I just found this ...

Apparently someone did make the Donald Duck tumbler pictured in the catalog. But just when I don't know because I have no confirmed date for this particular tumbler ...

Donald Duck Tumbler Date Unknown.jpg

Donald Duck Tumbler 1933 OI Catalog.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I heard from Bill Lindsey and sent him a reply with my observations about the Owens-Illinois catalog. He was appreciative and said he might revise the date. I'm waiting to hear back from him regarding that and will let you know what he has to say. All things considered, my personal observation is that the catalog was published in either 1935 or 1936.

(To be continued)

SODABOB

Reaction score
I haven't heard back from Bill Lindsey yet, and don't expect to right away, but I wanted to add this to the discussion for future reference. The Mickey Mouse tumbler in the Owens-Illinois catalog is marked (c) W.D.

[FONT=&amp]As a rough guide here is info regarding early Disney copyright notices. These copyright markings can be found on every single piece of legitimate Disneyana:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]1930-1932: Walt Disney, Walter E. Disney, or W.E. Disney [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1932-Sept. 1939: Walt Disney Enterprises [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Sept. 1939-Feb. 1986: Walt Disney Productions [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]1986-?: The Walt Disney Company [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Current copyright says: "c Disney" [/FONT]

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
Bob I don't think it's 35 or 36, personally I think latter....why?...have a look at the 2 Way glass, it has the arrows on it....the early paper labels did not use the arrows.
Patent and Trademark Office, the 2 Way trademark information was filed on October 22, 1935 by The National Nugrape Company, that makes sense then with the fact that earliest ad I could find was June 1936.....so there is no way that catalog is from 1933.
I really think it's from the early 1940's because of the arrows....but there are different slogans on them as well and I can't make out what they are on the glass.

20170323_105742.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

I agree - there is quite a bit of confusion related to the catalog's date. As a result of the recent information I shared with Bill Lindsey, he acknowledged to me that the catalog cannot be dated 1933. He and his co-researchers are now taking a closer look at it and are supposed to get back if/when they can figure it out. I haven't fully researched the 2-Way tumbler but I did notice something I thought was both interesting and confusing. Notice on the page where the 2-Way glass is pictured where it says ...

"Just as applied color labels have boosted bottle sales of beverages."

What I find confusing about this is that in the soda bottle section of the catalog there isn't a single ACL soda bottle pictured. And yet, we know for certain that by 1937 through 1939 there were lots of ACL soda bottles. If the catalog was published later than 1936, and possibly as late as 1939 or the early 1940s, then why does it mention ACL soda bottles in the tumbler section but not picture them in the soda bottle section? Mucho confusing!

Owens Illinois 1933 Beverage Glasses ACLs (3).jpg

Owens Illinois 1933 Beverage Glasses ACLs.jpg

(I'll be back)

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Another thing I noticed about the catalog page I just posted is the reference to ...

"Libbey Safedge"

A simple Google search will confirm that the Owens-Illinois Glass Company acquired the Libbey Glass Company 1935. But what I'm wondering is, would Owens-Illinois use the name and be able to produce Libbey Safedge glasses if Owens-Illinois had not already acquired Libbey Glass?

Canadacan

Reaction score
Very interesting indeed, and yes it adds some questions considering there is no ACL's in the guide. I was following up with what I could on the 2 WAY stuff...so I can now see that the glass has the arrows, top one reads ' 1-A RITZY MIXER' and the bottom one reads ' 2- AN EXCELLENT STRAIGHT DRINK ' .....Problem is I don't know when they introduced those slogans but do know it was still in use on bottles from 1953 as I have a sample in my collection. I did found this add from 1943 that helps establish that the slogans were in use by at least 1943.

So it appears the 2 on glass follows the pattern of the front of the bottles, except it's in solid white....it's similar to the out line in red on the bottles....but on the back of these bottles there is the old style of two that matches the paper label bottle!....take note in the shape of the end of 2 above the Y, front of bottle rounded off, back of bottle flattened off and the 2 is stretched out.

It appears the two on the glass is a flattened end?...( I think), the carton on the front has the flattened ends as well on the 2's....but we can't see the ends on the bottles to see if they are flat or round, and just to note that latter 2's on cartons have rounded ends.

At this juncture because of the style of the 2 on that glass I'm led to believe it's pre 1943

Owens Illinois 1933 Beverage Glasses ACLs (2).jpg20170325_221126.jpg20170325_215214.jpg

2 WAY- The Honolulu Advertiser 31 July 1943
2 WAY- The Honolulu Advertiser 31 July 1943.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
2-Way Trademark

First Use Anywhere = 1935

http://www.trademarkia.com/2-way-71370667.html

Yea I had stated that in my post with the paper label bottle.

I noticed in the 1936 add I found (not posted) it refers to the 2 Way product as Lithiated...no mention of the slogans that are on the arrows though.

This is a Canadian 2 Way bottle topper in French from my personal collection, top reads 'Taste 2 Way' below that is ' Good for you and your Guests'.....upper left 'Lost a burning thirst'
...and upper right is 'Find energy and Contentment'.........a guess at the approx. year?, 1940-45.....but this piece dose not really help establish a year on that catalog!..lol
20170325_213607.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18