EARLIEST ACL SODA BOTTLE(S) ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I just heard from the New Mexico bottle club who had this to say about my "Pippo" bottle ...

"I emailed several of the NM soda collectors who knew of Pippo ACL bottles but didn't have information on them. One had 3. There must be a void on this soda. Would you post your pics to share."

(I sent the requested pictures)

Dr Pepper bottle man

Reaction score
Lazenby's Liquid Sunshine

The Lazenby's Liquid Sunshine bottles and glasses were introduced in 1937.
The original artwork is dated 1937 also and has the outline of the state of Texas on it, and a star for Dallas where it was based.
Although I have a newspaper ad showing the date 0f 1934 from Florida.
The wooden crate has 25 slots for bottles, a super rare crate
See Pics

Attachments

• liquid[1].jpg
    liquid[1].jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.lazenbys.jpg
    3.lazenbys.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 139
  • liquid3.jpg
    liquid3.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 126
  • LazenbysLiquidSunshine.jpg
    LazenbysLiquidSunshine.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Liquid Sunshine.jpg
    Liquid Sunshine.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Dr Pepper bottle man

Reaction score
I have a "Emobossed" raised letter Dr Pepper bottle from Corsicanna, Texas with the same top, and was told you opened the bottle with a dime.
See pics

Nickevlau ~

Thank you for the contribution. There are so many aspects to all of this that it seems endless. And the closure you posted certainly fits into the scheme of things. Hopefully the information below will shed a little more light on the subject and will benifit everyone concerned.

Thanks again,

SPB

"PRIOF" Closure/Finish
The "PRIOF" closure is actually a finish variation for the crown cap intended to make it easier to remove the cap in that it could be "pried off" with a non-standard opener without breaking the bottle. Paul & Parmalee (1973) describe this finish and origin quite well and are quoted below:

[blockquote][align=left]One of the last minor changes or variations of the crown closure was the development of the "Priof" method of bottle finish by the Illinois Glass Company. The crown bottle, appearing in the early 1920s, had a projecting ledge below the lip of the crown which assisted the consumer in opening the bottle. By using the ledge as a point of leverage, one could easily pry off the cap by using a knife, key, coin or any flat piece of metal. One needed only to insert the lever between the ledge and the cap and twist. Although this type of bottle finish was used sporadically through the years, it never became popular enough to dominate the market. However, its major advertising feature was that it substantially reduced the number of broken and chipped bottles which resulted from the use of various unconventional openers.[/align][/blockquote]

Attachments

• Corsicana Pat Pride Top.jpg
    Corsicana Pat Pride Top.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 126
  • corsicana.jpg
    corsicana.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Patentned pride top.jpg
    Patentned pride top.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 130

SODABOB

Reaction score
UPDATE ...

1933 ACL

The following Owens-Illinois Glass Company catalog recently came to my attention and claims to be from 1933. Please read the opening statement regarding how they determined the date. I spoke on the phone with Bill Lindsey a couple of years regarding something else and he is one of if not the most proficient bottle researchers I know. If he is confident the catalog is dated 1933, then so am I. However, there are no ACL soda bottles in the catalog, but there are ACL Tumblers/Glasses. This at least tells us the ACL process was being used / experimented with as early as 1933. I consider this significant even though it does not include ACL soda bottles.

File #19 shows lots of soda bottles, including embossed examples and generic examples that would accommodate a paper label.

Files #23 and #24 are where the ACL Tumblers/Glasses are shown.

Note: I plan to research some of the more recognizable tumblers (Mickey Mouse - Donald Duck - 7up) and see if they have an Owens-Illinois mark and can be dated. Here's the link to the catalog ...

https://sha.org/bottle/oi1933.htm

The attached images are from the catalog ...

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1933 ACL GLASSES (2).jpg

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1933 ACL GLASSES.jpg

Owens Illinois 1933 Beverage Glasses ACLs (2).jpg

Owens Illinois 1933 Beverage Glasses ACLs.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
I have found a lot of the Mickey Mouse glasses but so far only one of them included anything about who might have made it or when. The attached link is to the one I'm referring to, but the description is a little vague as to where the number 33 is located on the glass.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wow-2-vintage-1930s-walt-disney-mickey-mouse

Copy/Pasted description ...

[FONT=&amp]The following information is in the "The Collector's Guide to Cartoon & Promotional Drinking Glasses"
[FONT=&amp]Mickey looking surprised with black vertical letters number 33 [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]$70.00 each

[/FONT]

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Follow Up ...

I have reason to believe the Owens-Illinois Catalog cannot be dated 1933. Open the link I posted and scroll to File #23 where you will see a Donald Duck ACL tumbler. As it turns out, nobody even heard of Donald Duck in 1933, and it wasn't until June 9, 1934 that he made his debut appearance in the Disney short film "The Wise Little Hen"

Read all about it ...

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/The_Wise_Little_Hen

Donald Duck The Wise Little Hen Released June 9, 1934.jpg

(To be continued)

Canadacan

Reaction score
I'm not sure when 2way came out but the earliest add on a quick search was 1936, oh and the 7up glass pictured..I have that in my collection but believed it to be from the 40's-50's...unless it is older than I assumed?

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

Thanks for contributing.

Based on various factors, I'm leaning toward the date for the Owens-Illinois catalog as being from 1936

Here's why I say that ...

[ Attachments ]

Mickey Mouse tumbler from Catalog

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1933 ACL GLASSES (2).jpg

Donald Duck tumbler from Catalog

Donald Duck Tumbler 1933 OI Catalog.jpg

This is the earliest advertisement I can find for the tumblers.

Note: The Mickey Mouse tumbler in this ad is identical to the one in the catalog, but the Donald Duck tumbler is different. I can't explain the two different Donald Duck tumblers, other than it might have been changed before it went into production. I have not been able to find a Donald Duck tumbler that is identical to the one pictured in the catalog.

The Altoona Tribune ~ Altoona, Pennsylvania ~ December 21, 1936

Donald Duck Tumbler Altoona Tribune, Pa Dec 21, 1936.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
However ...

This 1934 Mickey Mouse tumbler could very well be an ACL. I can't imagine any other type of application that wouldn't come off after repeated washing's. I believe its made from white milk-glass but I haven't been able to confirm that yet ...

Zanesville Signal ~ Zanesville, Ohio ~ June 21, 1934

Mickey Mouse Tumbler Zanesville Signal June 21, 1934 Ohio Full Page (3).jpg

Mickey Mouse Tumbler Zanesville Signal June 21, 1934 Ohio Full Page (2).jpg

Mickey Mouse Tumbler Zanesville Signal June 21, 1934 Ohio.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18