IS THIS A SODA BOTTLE?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Recognize this bottle? I think of it as a soda, but I don't have any evidence for that. It is likely to be of British origin, since I acquired the bottle in Guyana. I am guessing 1870s. It has no embossing.

The bottle is 6.75 inches tall, green-aqua, applied lip, smooth base (with nipple), and was blown in a four-piece mold. The horizontal seam is located just at the shoulder-break.

Can anyone here offer any information on this bottle?

--------------Harry Pristis

Vt56662.jpg

IRISH

Reaction score
There are a few imbossed goldfields sodas (1850s-60s) from Australia that look like that but they are two piece molded.
I don't think I've ever seen a four-piece mold soda bottle (I think that's what it is anyhow, it's a typical soda shape from pre 1870)

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Thank you, Irish.

I believe that this soda would be the only four-piece mold bottle in my collection that is not a large demijohn. I have looked more carefully at the horizontal seam at the shoulder since you responded. I am no longer confident that it is a mold seam.

The horizontal "seam" is very uniform, and there are faint parallel marks close-by. I now suspect these are tool-marks left by the machine tool that cut the sharp shoulder in the bottle mold. I am glad you got me to take a second look.

I am surprised and pleased to find that this soda is earlier than I guessed. Here is a comparison image with an iron-pontilled (1845-70) American soda.

-------------Harry Pristis

Vt57861.jpg

Attachments

• Vt57861.jpg
    Vt57861.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 82

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member