Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master

Horshoe Forestry Company

This is the jar I got for my birthday. Melinda had pointed it out, thanks Melinda and its not listed in Redbook #9 (can someone look in 10). I put it next to the flauccus for size but it holds exactly a pint up to the shoulder, a bit more than the flauccus. The Horseshoe Forestry Company was run by A.A. Low an inventer who at the time of his death had more patents than anyone except Thomas Edison. He had a railroad built into Horseshoe and then sold it to a nearby railroad for a dollar. Besides running a logging operation the company also put out maple syrup, wild berry preserves, elderberry wine, and bottled water.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DEA60BB8C16C4176B72CAFCE8EE061E0.jpg  

RE: Horshoe Forestry Company

Mine has a ground lip. I googled some good information about A.A. Low and the Horseshoe Forestry Company here:

http://www.adkmuseum.org/about_us/ad...ournal/?id=193

And from emailing there curator I found that they don't have my jar but this similar one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CF12B9AE19FC4F739B34968B741B5279.jpg  

Here is the back of their jar with the same embossing that's all on the front of mine. Because of the boiling kettle they were quessing that their jar was from maple syrup, but it or mine could have also been used for the wild berry preserves, it would be nice to see both with paper labels.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EA94F5653AFF49D88F6F6C1B42EECC56.jpg  

Here is their water bottle, I think he patented this one.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3EC085DD9597463980C4D510058A05F5.jpg  

And finally their wine bottle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0299C404D5634D128E6FFBF980BC8EC6.jpg  

Wow ,A. A. Low was diversified for sure ,the number of patents is sure amazing .Interesting post,nice jars !

Thanks Digs!

Nobody has Redbook #10?

Hey Steve,

What a great series of bottles and jars! Mr. Low certainly did not skimp on the embossing. Are all the R's & S's facing the proper way? Thanks so much for showing them. Is the wine displayed on a vintage capping or corking device?

Thanks surf, I didn't realize just how many R's there were but I don't think there's any embossing error. I don't think the wine is on a capper but if I ever get up that way, I'm stopping in to get a better look!

It's not listed in RB10. I remember reading about this jar somewhere and the reasoning behind it not being in the book. I think it's because it's not a fruit/food/canning jar. If I remember correctly, it likely held some type of dry goods like snuff or other type of tobacco.