BEWARE DRAKES ON EBAY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Thanks bttlmark; I am working on a little write-up for our monthly bottle club next week regarding repro bottles. The have been around as far back as the oldest known glass makers, where they could apply their knowledge of glass making to duplicate whatever people wanted to have. Early Roman glasshouses reproduced the glass applications in Italy for their people - of items they saw elsewhere in their captured domain. Early American Whiskey Flasks were almost all reproduced to satisfy the people that just had to have one. The objective has been "if it will sell at a profit then make it."
RED Matthews

jays emporium

Reaction score
I looked at his feedback and he has not sold any bottles in the last 4 months, just sports cards. His star rating for "Item as Described" is perfect. I assume you had some dealing with him in the past or you wouldn't have posted that. What happened?

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
It's my experience that PUCE bottles show much more Amethyst tones in pictures when taken in indoor lighting .
I have had this happen in my own pictures .
I will always ask for a natural lighting ( outdoor ) pic of a bottle if coloration is questionable .

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
No, genuine Drakes do come in deep claret, and just about any other color in the bottle rainbow. Personally, I have yet to witness a reproduced Drakes that is done well enough to fool most collectors. Please explain who is making these fakes and where they are blown.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I have been fooling with Drake's for about 20 + years now , and I have NEVER seen a repro Drake's Plantation.
I however have seen and owned some period copy cat bottles. Or what could be consider a copy cat ...... as some are very similar to the classic Plantations.
And yes , Drake's come in every color of the rainbow . I'm still looking for an Aqua . Anybody ever heard of one out there ?

5D3050818211495FB4704DDB11624CC6.jpg

Attachments

• 5D3050818211495FB4704DDB11624CC6.jpg
    5D3050818211495FB4704DDB11624CC6.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 369

glass man

Reaction score
NEVER HEARD OF AN AQUA ONE. DO YOU KNOW IF THEY EVEN EXIST? WHAT ABOUT CLEAR? I HAD TO SELL A HONEY AMBER 6 LOG THAT I KNOW IS NOT RARE,BUT I LOVED IT!! JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora