Ginger Ale Bottles wanted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello Sodabottle collector gang- new member here. Really like the friendly "conversations" I see here. As you can tell from my nickname, I collect ginger ale bottles and wonder if there is anyone else out there that is as crazy as I am- just collecting ginger ales. In case anyone is interested, ginger ale was invented in Belfast Ireland in 1852, believe it or not!

IRISH

Reaction score
G'day Ginger Ale collector, welcome to the forum.
So you don't collect ginger beers just ginger ale ? sounds fair to me [:)] . I'll have a look though my soda/aerated water bottles and post some photos, there are a few Codd's with ginger ale written on them from Australia, I don't have any spares but I'll keep an eye out for them if you like.

bubbas dad

Reaction score
why don't you post pictures of some of your bottles. when you say ginger ale i picture something like canda dry but by the dates i get the impression of either stonewear or blob top bottles.

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
G'day to you mate! Thanks for your reply. No ginger beer for me! Just ginger ale. Ginger beer came about earlier than ginger ale- became popular around 1800. You are right there are a number of Aussie Codd bottles embossed ginger ale. I think I have most of them, four or five anyway. What's interesting is that your Aussie Codds are the ONLY Codds I know of that are embossed ginger ale. Which makes them kind of odd Codds! Fine with me. There is an embossed ginger ale blobtop from your fine country that I think I have a picture of somewhere- a friend in NSW sent the picture to me, but found it pretty heavy on the price. Love to find that one! Another thing I'd love to find is an embossed ginger ale from Kiwi way.

Thanks again Irish-

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hi John-

I will post some photos when I get a free moment- this is the end of my 18 hour day, but you are right, the dates do mean that I have blobs, stoneware, crowntops (paper label and painted label) in my collection. When I first started collecting ginger ales about 17 years ago, I had NO IDEA of the trouble I was in. The bottles come in all shapes, sizes, colors, embossing you can imagine, with about a dozen different kinds of closures. Ginger ale was the #1 softdrink flavor for about 70 years running. And from about 1865 to 1965 if a local bottler didn't make ginger ale, well, they weren't serious about being in the sodawater business. The result was ginger ale bottles from everywhere. Ireland, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, the U.S., and I'm sure other parts of the world too. Anyway- look for some pictures soon! Maybe even a rare paper label Canada Dry!

IRISH

Reaction score
Here is a photo of a few of mine, I'm sure I've got a couple more with ginger ale on the back but it may take a while to check the 500 or so bottles on display in the celler [:D] .

These are two different John Fletcher Warrnambool codds and a Wilcox Bros codd, my Wilcox is the variation without the ginger ale on the back but is exactly the same on the front so I thought I'd include it as well. The one with ginger ale has it written twice in a "T" shape, once going across the bottle and once going down.
There is also that I know of a Herron, Sale (Victoria Aust.) 13 ounce codd and two different sized Marchants Blob top internal thread bottles with ginger ale on them, I've seen more but can't think of the names just now [:mad:] .

Ca80413.jpg

Attachments

• Ca80413.jpg
    Ca80413.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 228

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Nice bottles...

Question:
I know Canada Dry made a carnival glass bottle in the "marigold" (orange) color. Did they make any others?

I have dug 3 lately, that have an iridescent coloration...normally I would think this was the result of being buried so long....but they are the only bottles I have dug that have this iridesence.

(I know: I need ta post a pic)...LOL.
Will later,,,,,,,
Thanks for any input.

Bixel

Reaction score
I acctually know someone that has a Canada dry bottle with the paper lable still intact on it. if interested, drop me a line in my email:

number_1insulator_collector@hotmail.com

madman

Reaction score
hey guys nice topic, heres a couple ginger ale bottles ive dug mike

Ig11626.jpg

Ginger Ale collector

Reaction score
Hello Whiskeyman, the Canada Dry bottle you mention is often mistaken for Ginger Ale. But if you look on the bottom it says Canada Dry Ginger Ale Company! It actually was an Orange Soda and came with an amazing black and orange paper label. I've got a photo around somewhere. The coloring is acutally not in the glass, but on it. If you hold the bottle up to the light and peek through the crown end, you'll see that the bottom is clear. They made a simliar iridescent bottle for Club soda except it was a clear bottle with a bluish tint I think, came with a blue label. Thanks.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora