Ravinna Air-Tight fruit jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
I need some help... I found a fruit jar out diving this week. It was in a place where I have found pontils in the past but nothing this cool. It is embossed on one side Air-Tight Fruit Jar and on the other Ravinna Glass Works. The only thing I can find googling it is a Kovels with no info. Anything you know I would love to know. How old how good... It is so crude and very near mint. It was deep in mud and still had the wax inside the rim.

If you need better pictures I will try in the sunlight tomorrow.

Thanks,

Steven

10F2A15EEE2448D29031ACA13E814F98.jpg

Attachments

• 10F2A15EEE2448D29031ACA13E814F98.jpg
    10F2A15EEE2448D29031ACA13E814F98.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 86

dewdog

Reaction score
Wow!! Nice jar--Red Book ( If I am looking right) lists it for about $2500 and up.........lol

junkyard jack

Reaction score
Very nice jar & very scarce also. It was produced by the Ravenna Glass Works in Ravenna, Ohio circa 1857-1867. Red Book 10 currently lists this jar as follows:
Quart (Deep Aqua) $3,000 & up.
Pint (Deep Aqua) $4,000 & up.
Very nice find.

mrbottles

Reaction score
No freaking way!!! This is the best bottloe/jar i have ever found! Yes Tom you were right... I am glad you were there! Weekday diving.

WOW!

It is pint sized!

Steven

dewdog

Reaction score
Most collectors only dream of getting one of those---you are very fortunate--congrats!!!!

junkyard jack

Reaction score
Congrats on a great jar find. You have every reason to be excited about finding this jar. This is a superb jar & it has so many attributes that jar collectors love. It's got age (very early jar), good deep color, it is a figural jar (barrel shaped) & it is pontiled. What more could you want in a jar!
As far as condition goes, the outer lip of the wax channel is smooth and the inner lip of the wax channel of these particular jars is usually quite rough (sheared) & for the most part should not be considered as damaged as this is the way these jars were produced.
Jars of this caliber just aren't found nowadays. You should be quite proud of finding this jar as it is a very early & important piece in the history of fruit jar production.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp