Ravinna Air-Tight fruit jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Georeoj,

It is a serious bid. You never know. There are already 45 watchers. Usually that means a lot of bids coming. Thanks for rolling it out if that is you. It took me years to be willing to pay anything for a bottle. Now I regularly set records for Wisconsin bottles. At some point I just came to think I want to appreciate what I have and thirty incredible bottles is more to appreciate than 1000 really good bottles. Yes people go both ways on that one but I really enjoy the ones I had to sell hundreds to afford. I hope you do win it if it is one you would love!

Dean and David, thanks for the kind wishes. It is one of those bitter sweet times. Even though it is an incredible piece of early American figural glass it is not as awesome to me as the least of my colored sodas or pontiled Wisconsin rarities. My collection is all Wisconsin. The attraction to me is that it is so rare and I found it. This one will be more appreciated by a serious fruit jar or early American glass collector than it is by me. That is reason enough to let them have it.

It is one of the cooler bottle find stories i know of and an example of the power of this forum. Is there anything the people here can’t figure out or don’t know?

My best,

Steven

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hey folks,

The jar auction is just about half over. There are 103 watchers. Anyone have a clue how watchers translates to bids in the end? I think the most watchers I have ever seen on one of my auctions is about 40.

Steven

cookie

Reaction score
It' s anybody's guess as far as watchers go...it's a fabulous jar.....I hope it does great.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mrbottles

Hey folks,

The jar auction is just about half over. There are 103 watchers. Anyone have a clue how watchers translates to bids in the end? I think the most watchers I have ever seen on one of my auctions is about 40.

Steven
There's no set ratio, many times a great bottle will get ton of views because people wanna check out Rare Bottles...

sandchip

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mrbottles

Can anyone tell me why this pontil has no iron in it? This is as found. I have done nothing to clean it. Was two feet under mud in lake bottom but the bottle is nearly mint... No oxidization hardly at all. You can still see some lake bottom inside of it. i will clean that out soon. There are 130 tin oyster cans in decent shape. I don't think this bottle ever had iron in the pontil. So how was it made?

95580BFFFDC04F66B861253C9248F938.jpg

Steven, more than likely your iron pontil mark is just as it was made. Watching a blacksmith work would give you a good idea of what went on during its manufacture. Rust is a form of iron oxide formed slowly, while the scale rapidly forming on red-hot iron is another. One is ferrous oxide, the other is ferric oxide, and I'm not sure which one's which. The scale that forms on a red hot iron ball on the end of the pontil rod lying in the furnace, becomes embedded in the glass on the bottom of the bottle being empontilled. The hot, sticky glass pulls the iron oxide (scale) off the pontil rod, whereas a blacksmith would wirebrush it off the piece he's working on. How much iron oxide remains on the bottom of a bottle depends on how fast the glassblower is working, the temperature of the pontil rod and how often he reheats it, the grade of iron in the ball on the end of the rod (which probably determines the color of the pontil marks on our bottles), and the timing of which lucky bottle pulls the oxide off the pontil rod. A dark, heavy IP mark was probably on the jar blown immediately preceding the superfine jar that you found. The rod was probably hot enough to adhere to your jar without having to reheat, but no more scale had formed at the time it was stuck.

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Jimbo,

That makes perfect sense and has been a hard thing to understand considering the jar is so minty and there is no iron AND i found two pontils loaded with iron in the same place similarly buried... Both broken. Also all of the old metal with little to no oxidization. At depth in fresh water there is not enough oxygen to break metal or even paint on metal down.

I have another pontiled soda that looks the same that is actually attic mint with no iron too.

Thank you for explaining it.

It is at 127 watchers right now.

Steven

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Jimbo,

A eBay user just asked the question you answered tonight. Thanks for the information. I actually cut and pasted your answer into the eBay reply.

It is up to 163 watchers. For my auctions that is flat out an all time record times 4.

Should be a fun one to watch close at a little after noon central time tomorrow.

Steven

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18