English Black Glass or Dutch ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Will see if I have some in the garage. Most of them go back in the hole as I have no market for them and can't keep them-but I bet there is one in the garage somewhere!

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
This the only such bottle I've found in Florida. I've always thought of it as American-made. Rex Wilson (BOTTLES ON THE WESTERN FRONTIER) illustrates a number of "beer bottles, export style" which are close. These would be for 1870s lager beer. I'm eager to see your Texas finds, nhpharm, especially any with the raised ring around the mold vent nipple.

ale_bottle_black.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
I lugged home almost 150 British blackglass bottles from my most recent dig...will take a look and see if any of them have this base. I think most of the ones I dug this trip are a little too early. I would say that I believe the bottle you have posted is British. The 1870's lager beer bottles from the US that I have seen are typically similar in form but are amber and typically have the initials (such as C&I) embossed on the base.

obxcomber

Reaction score
I'm hoping to identify this partial bottle base. Looks like there are some real black glass connoisseurs posting here, maybe it rings a bell with one of you?BBB.jpg

obxcomber

Reaction score
Southern Outer Banks, NC. It's an area known for its shipwrecks.BBBBL.jpg

Last edited:

nhpharm

Reaction score
It's neat. I would guess British as there are lots of towns there with the DDES combination of letters, but I could be wrong. Waddeston, Hoddesdon, etc. You might post on the British Antique Bottle Forum.

obxcomber

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. BABF won't allow me to register because of the type of email account I have.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora