Recycle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
The place I get my haircut is near the city glass recycle center....So my ritual is, after my haircut, which is usually in the eve. hours, I drive up by the dumpsters and have a look for old bottles,..I've not hit it big yet, but theres usually something, 1858 masons, etc. Last night I had a look and this was lying on top in the clear glass bin.[8D]

1A0C6916431F4F43B955FA5EAA132511.jpg

Attachments

• 1A0C6916431F4F43B955FA5EAA132511.jpg
    1A0C6916431F4F43B955FA5EAA132511.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 99

woodswalker

Reaction score
That is to neat!!! I never thought of checking recycling centers!! Is that an old root beer bottle...I see that it says bitters on it and this may be a silly question, but what exactly is bitters?

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Bitters was (and still is) sold as a stomach remedy , Back in the early anti drinking days it was supposedly a way for 'respectable' ladys (and men) to get a buzz on without being seen as whiskey drinkers or partaking in the evil "spirits" Bitters was an alchohol based mixture of herbs and roots, and who knows what else.[;)]....The bottles were usually very ornate and are very collectable, hence the fact they were reproduced... I don't think the above reproduction was based on an actual bottle, but I could be wrong. Joe

RedGinger

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but it's ugly lol. Fred came over this afternoon and we all had a laugh about it. Strange find! It would be fun to plant this in one of our unsavoury fellow digger's holes![:D] (there are at a couple of diggers around here that will steal, dig other's holes out, etc. Luckily, I have had the pleasure of not meeting them).

Angostura bitters is still sold today, and I've found a tablespoon of that will really help settle your stomach. It's great with ginger ale as well. It's used in a lot of mixed drinks. Bitter for sure, but I like it.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
JOE...FYI..this repro was indeed based upon an original older bottle.

http://www.prices4antiques.com/bottles-flasks-jars/bitters-medicine/Bitters-Dr-Chandlers-Jamaica-Ginger-Root-Barrel-Form-Yellow-Amber-D9853863.htm

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado