New Scam

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Grimdigger forum member Hutch recently had this tried on him.With his permission I'm copying Hutch's post here on Roger's forum;

"I have just received an "Outbid notice" from ebay, as I do not normally have these I suspected something anyway and when I looked at it it claimed I had been outbid on a Tshirt I`ve never seen before.
It gave all the usual ebay blurb and the url of the auction so I clicked on the link and it came up with the ebay sign in page first, it looked identical to ebays but the address bar at the top just gave an ip address instead of ebay.com
I then put the item number into the real ebay search page and it came up with a pair of sandals and not the tshirt.

Had I not suspected anything I could have just logged straight in on the given to find out what was going on, then my ID and password would have been nicked.

They are definitely getting clever at these."

Be careful guys,

KAT

IRISH

Reaction score
That is a clever one [:mad:] . I don't open any emails from eBay anyhow they all get deleted, they are a good reminder that an auction is about to end but don't really need to be opened, any messages that are from eBay will be in the my messages folder on the my eBay page anyhow. I do open messages from other ebay members but they don't require me to login [;)] .

warith

Reaction score
Depending upon your browser it is technically possible to make it look like an official ebay URL in the address bar. Also it is very easy to put highly intrusive cookies and hostile scripts into these pages so that any further web pages you access after the initial page can be traced and your activities monitored by the initially hostile web site. Depending on the security & “personal†settings you have defined in your browser this intrusive activity can continue even after closing your browser or rebooting your computer.

As a result you should NEVER click on a link in any suspect emails; cutting and pasting the URL into your address bar is your best choice if you are curous, and any large grouping of numbers and characters in the URL that seem like “junk†(or your email address if they are that blatant!) should be cut out, if it then doesn’t seme to work ignore it. Even though the page is “just†a web site they should be treated like double clicking on an executable file that someone emailed you. If you choose to use Microsoft’s browsers then you need to make certain that you keep up to date with all their patches. It is also a good idea to run anti-spyware tools regularly, as well as up to date anti-virus software.

One other thing to keep in mind when clicking on URL’s embedded in emails, do you realise you have just confirmed that your email address is an active email address? You will now get more spam and your address will be on-sold to other unscrupulous spammers.

Spyware tool can be downloaded from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

A better browser from here:
www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

And windows/Microsoft updates from here:
windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Sorry about the rant, but I deal with this kind of thing daily and the insecurity built into a certain web browser stuns me every time.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with you Warith,

Here's another link for free spyware,adware and browers;

http://amigocomputing.net/downloads.php

I run the Mozilla Firefox myself and kick myself for not installing it sooner.No more pop-ups,MOST invasive cookies are blocked,and SO much faster than IE.
[;)]

KAT

warith

Reaction score
I used to use Opera, which is even faster still, but now that Firefox has matured sufficiently I rarely use Opera. One advantage of having two browsers (Firefox and Opera) installed on my server is that whenever I'm about to do something dubious (eg: check a URL to see what nasty activities it does) then I can use Opera, which I have locked down so that nasty stuff can’t affect any other applications. Furthermore, were nasty stuff to affect Opera it wouldn’t affect me much as I login to Ebay, Papal & etc only using Firefox, so the nasties watching Opera would get nothing.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi