Indian Queen Bitters ???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
This is a new one on me.
I am aware of an amber repo with a headress type stopper and ,a clear one made in France back in the 70's....this seller claims this is an original label only Brown's Celebrated Indian Herb Bitters. Any comments?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6192998648&category=890&rd=1

Hf99464.jpg

Attachments

• Hf99464.jpg
    Hf99464.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 125

whiskeyman

Reaction score
LOBEY...I have seen a few with traces of gold paint.
The mouth looks all wrong to me too...kinda crudely tooled ,like the Czech repos of the Jenny Lind calabash.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
According to Ring's book: the Queens had sheared mouths.
The Mohawk Rye Whiskey had an unlettered shield ,but has Pat Feb 11 1868 on the shawl.

I'd like to bid on it if I knew it was the "real deal."

KentOhio

Reaction score
I saw that on ebay too and I didn't know about it either.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
The mouth sits behind the head and not centered...and the arm holding the shield is straight...

Ki20407.jpg

Attachments

• Ki20407.jpg
    Ki20407.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 128

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hey Queenie lovers -
I saw one of these on the Bay less than a year ago and researched it prior to bidding. Well, I forgot to bid on it before I left for a days dig and kinda regret it. This variation listed as 111. INDIAN QUEEN BOTTLE (similar to the famous Brown's Celebrated Indian Herb Bitters, but lacking the embossing), clear glass Indian Queen, 12 3/4", smooth base, tooled mouth, a shallow 1/4" chip on skirt, $130 (1996) = in ODELL'S VOL. 2 BITTERS.

My GUESS is that it is from the thirties or turn of the century at best.

Whiskey, if you win it I could paint it for you[:D][:D][:D].

whiskeyman

Reaction score
figgered it was...[:mad:]

thanks BRIAN...catch ya later.

Now I have to ask Roger to move this thread to the Repo section...where I started to put it to begin with.[&:]

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Charlie and company ........ back to the Queen ! I believe Meech is close on the value... I have seen these sell in the 100.00+ range even though they are a repro.
I believe Meech is close on the date also , if not a tad earlier. Don't quote me on this .... but if my memory serves me correctly , these are Italian made. And also , I seem to remember that they are made from an original Brown's mold ( with the embossing removed from the mold ). The no embossing and the unusual top are a dead give away on it being a repro.
However there was an Original Brown's ( B 226 ) made in Clear and Aqua and they are extremely rare and would easily bring in the 5 fiqures range at auction.
Here is a pic of a Brown's B 222 . Notice anything strange about the word "CELEBRATED" in the pic ? It is listed as Extremely rare and there was a repro of this variant made also , it was made for the 1957 Jamestown Virginia 350 year celebration ... it is very similar except the neck ends at the headdress and it has a stopper . And it has a fancy monogram on the base.

Xv62999.jpg

Attachments

• Xv62999.jpg
    Xv62999.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 136

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora