Real arrowhead???

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

towhead

Reaction score
Got a bunch of bottles and a can of agates from a sale....Bottles are all common stuff....However, this arrowhead was in the can of agates...do you think it is "NEW" ? Thank you! -Julie

DA3583E3D4864524811FCDD4ED677F8D.jpg

Attachments

• DA3583E3D4864524811FCDD4ED677F8D.jpg
    DA3583E3D4864524811FCDD4ED677F8D.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 59

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I know very little about arrowheads, so I'm going to see what the experts say, but I will say I never saw an arrowhead with so little "working" on it.
You're thinking the same thing?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi, I doubt that it is new. Why would anyone make them today? Maybe if the thought they could sell them. In my opinion they won't get rich doing that. RED M.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I'm going with new. (In fact, there's one in this pic that looks extremely similar)
http://www.paulssupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=199

Arrowheads and spear points should have ridges on the sides (to help kill stuff). It doesn't look very functional.

LC

Reaction score
There is a lot of people today chipping out arrowheads Red and trying to pass them off as authentic to make money on them , or at least there are in my area . The one pictured to me has so little working that I would say it is not an old one , but then too , that is just my opinion , I could be wrong though .

There was a guy here local here some years back came up with a set of six of the most beautifully chipped out spears a person ever seen . Only thing was , they were chipped out of different colored pieces of glass . The person who chipped them out was sure good at doing it .

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
There's a flintknapper in my area that will teach you if you want... You can just go to his house Tuesday nights or something. (It's been about 5 years since I saw him- don't know if he still does that.)
I've watched him make them and he does a great job. He said experts can tell who created the arrowheads... in other words, it's actually possible to track some of the Indian trading by arrowheads and where they end up. Not all Indians kapped their own points. It was a skill that only a few were masters of.

They used deer antlers to knap the stones, but modern knappers use these sticks with copper on the ends.

LC

Reaction score
That's interesting , I do not know any of them who do it around here , but there are some who really have the knack to do so .

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Also, modern flintknappers with integrity sign their work and do not try to pass them off as ancient relics.

LC

Reaction score
Regretfully , there are many that don't . Money does strange things to some people . I used to know a guy that would take the reproduction fruit jars and scratch them up on concrete to try and get them to look old . I hate to admit it but he managed to screw me over with one of them on one occasion , never dealt with him again after that .

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora