Are there any shortcuts to Id'ing?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
I've enjoyed reading the posts so far and I'm glad we have some marble collectors to help out here. This was a great idea.
I've bought two books in the last ten years or so on marbles and both are good. However, I'm still finding it hard to feel confident in id'ing them. I've sorted them out by "style" like slag, cats eyes, etc, etc, but my question is this: Is there some step by step method that can be used to narrow down the id? I know that with experience it would be second nature...but what are the main ways to narrow down the id of a marble? With bottles, there's clues to age and origin if you know what to look for. I assume it's the same with marbles. What are the clues?
I have a lot of marbles I've dug and I will post some pics soon. Cool category!

Road Dog

Reaction score
No shortcuts. Books do have errors and often only show limited (most popular) types from any one company. Your best learning is hands on. Talking to other collectors and getting to a marble show if at all possible is the best way. Long time collectors are stumped all the time on marble I.D's. I have probably a 100 lbs of swirls I need to go thru to try and I.D. Swirl types they are my least favorite type and hardest to I.D. as the various companies are so similar in styles sometimes. Progress is being made in identifying even these types in the last few years thanks to some tenacious collectors out there. Try and learn glass colors, patterns and seams.Alot of times they will hold true for a company ,but there is always one that comes along and defies the rules.

Attachments

• 0D5DC70824F34AADA8DBD14F146C8F60.jpg
    0D5DC70824F34AADA8DBD14F146C8F60.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 110

beendiggin

Reaction score
Thanks...I was afraid of that. I will redouble my efforts to learn the subtle differences. That's how I learned about bottles, so I'm sure I can do it with marbles over time. Thanks for all your help and the pics. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks again, Road Dog.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum