THE UGLIEST ACL(s) EVER MADE !?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
[:mad:]

Here's your opportunity to show off what you consider to be the ugliest acl in your collection. I'm sure everybody has at least one. My least favorite of all is the "Mr. Cola" shown below ... I hate every thing about it! And here's why ...

1. It's a 16 ounce ... and a full eleven inches tall. I prefer 10 and 12 ounce bottles, with an occasional 6 or 7 ounce thrown in for good measure. But the Mr. Cola is so tall it looks like a giraffe standing next to a rabbit.

2. The lettering (I'm not sure what this particular font is called) is so large it literally borders on annoying. And for some reason they also embossed the name at the top to make it just that much more tormenting to the eye.

3. It was made in 1961 ... which for some reason also bothers me because I prefer bottles from the 1950s or earlier.

4. Plus I must not be the only one who dislikes it because it set on the shelf of an antique shelf for at least a year. The only reason I even purchased it is because the dealer saw me looking at it and said I could have it for $1.00 ... which is about 99-cents more than it's worth in my opinion.

So there you have it ... what is (in my opinion) the ugliest acl known to man! The only thing good about it is the fact it was made by "The Grapette Company - Camden, Arkansas." But unfortunately even that endorsement doesn't help it much.

So if you have an acl soda bottle you believe is uglier, please share it with the rest of us and we will have a vote at some point to determine the winner ... or should I say "Loser?" Lol [:D]

Thanks ... and I hope this is not too "off-the-wall" to generate some interest.

SODAPOPBOB

4E42DDE5AD544A6FBB3FF37C11577EFD.jpg

Attachments

• 4E42DDE5AD544A6FBB3FF37C11577EFD.jpg
    4E42DDE5AD544A6FBB3FF37C11577EFD.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 61

nostalgia

Reaction score
Here is its Canadian counterpart

A green "Mr 30oz"...

mr.jpg

mr1.jpg

But I know I have other really ugly ACL's somewhere in crates; will have to "dig" them out! [:)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
nostalgia ~

Geez Louise! You'd think they would quit while they were "behind." I personally dislike the 28 and 30 ounce bottles even more than the 16 ounce ones. What year was your bottle made? Maybe mine is the follow-up and your's is the original. [:-] ???

Thanks,

SPB

nostalgia

Reaction score
It ain't mine but belongs to a friend.

I don't know the exact date but I figure it's from the '60's...

Wasn't "Mr Cola" American in origin like Coke and then it started worldwide?

morbious_fod

Reaction score
There are 12oz Mr. Cola bottles as well. Mr. Cola was a cheap cola produced by the Grapette company, and bottled by seven-up bottlers. I don't think it's the ugliest known, and are pretty tough to come by from some areas due to the weak acl. It was bottled in my area in Bristol, Tn. and Richlands, VA. I'd never seen the green 30oz before. I like it, but then again I have a green bottle fetish. LOL!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Morb ~

When you said "weak acl," did you mean weak in popularity or weak as in cheap paint? Mine originally had a great deal of black smudges on the letters that I attributed to it possibly having been wrapped in newspaper at some point. Which is something I learned the hard way a long time ago not to do. Now if I store a bottle I place it in an old white sock ... works great! And please don't tell me my bottle is rare. If that's the case I will have to scrounge around and find another ugly one. Which would be ...

Please stay tuned ... [:D]

Thanks,

SPB

wonkapete

Reaction score
Yep, our Grapette plant in Mobile bottled "Mr.". Like Morb said, the paint was weak on them. I have plenty of these from Mobile, but it took forever to find one with a good label.

mr.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Morb ~

I hope you know I'm just picking on you and fooling around ...

... and since there are absolutely no rules here (any acl from any country) here's a "green" bottle I bet you won't have a fetish with. It's a "Penafiel" from Mexico ... and my 2nd entry for the ugliest acl of all time. I found it in the brush along a highway that parallels the U.S. and Mexican border. I'm not sure of the date but there is an 8 and a 6 on the base that I am assuming means 1986? And if the front label isn't annoying enough, just wait until you see the back label in my next post. I dislike this bottle so much I almost left it laying on the ground where I found it ... but when it dawned on me that I may never find another one I reluctantly put it my daypack and brought it home. But I definitely won't lose any sleep if it falls off the shelf someday and breaks! [:D]

SPB

6FCCB235310E4B9DA2DBA523D34C41E5.jpg

Attachments

• 6FCCB235310E4B9DA2DBA523D34C41E5.jpg
    6FCCB235310E4B9DA2DBA523D34C41E5.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 66

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's the back label. If someone can tell me what it says and why they felt the need for so much crazy information ... please let me know! The accidental "smily face" reflection is for Morb. Thanks, buddy. I always appreciate your comments!

SPB

9AAD88FD21004C5AA6D7F14C2F64FAF7.jpg

Attachments

• 9AAD88FD21004C5AA6D7F14C2F64FAF7.jpg
    9AAD88FD21004C5AA6D7F14C2F64FAF7.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 58

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
wonkapete ~

Thanks. Your presence always adds a "bit" of creditability to a thread! Now I may have to withdraw my "Mr. Cola" from the running. But with all do respect to everyone concerned ... I still don't like it! Lol [:D] Besides ... I expect this thread to disappear just about as fast as it poped-up from the depths of my "ugly side!"

Thanks,

SPB

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac